Angular speed of student on merry-go-round

In summary, a merry go round is a horizontal disc that rotates on a frictionless bearing about a vertical axis. It has a mass of 150 kg, a radius of 2.0 m, and a rotational inertia of 300 kg.m2. When a 60 kg student walks towards the center, the angular speed changes from 1.5 rad.s-1 to a new speed that can be calculated by using conservation of angular momentum or by considering the change in torque and acceleration.
sauri
A merry go round can be described as a horizontal platform in the shape of a disc which rotates on a frictionless bearing about a vertical axis through its centre. The platform has a mass of 150 kg, a radius of 2.0 m and a rotational inertia of 300 kg.m2.A 60 kg student walks slowly from the rim of the platform toward the centre. If the angular speed of the system is 1.5 rad.s-1 when the student starts at the rim, what is the angular speed when he is 0.5 m from the centre?

I know that w=2(pi)/T=2(pi)r and the kinetic energy= (mr^2w^2)/2, but I am not sure how these two are to be related, if these are the correct equation to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
sauri said:
A merry go round can be described as a horizontal platform in the shape of a disc which rotates on a frictionless bearing about a vertical axis through its centre. The platform has a mass of 150 kg, a radius of 2.0 m and a rotational inertia of 300 kg.m2.A 60 kg student walks slowly from the rim of the platform toward the centre. If the angular speed of the system is 1.5 rad.s-1 when the student starts at the rim, what is the angular speed when he is 0.5 m from the centre?

I know that w=2(pi)/T=2(pi)r and the kinetic energy= (mr^2w^2)/2, but I am not sure how these two are to be related, if these are the correct equation to begin with.

There are no external torques on the system. Try conservation of angular momentum.

-Dan

Use conservation of momentum and remember that the student's mass adds mass to the moment of inertia.

If you want to do it the long way:
The student's weight exerts greater torque on the merry go round as it approaches the center. The torque=force*radius. The torque also equals the moment of inertia * acceleration. Solve for acceleration. Convert angular to linear because you do not know delta theta. Then use the kinematic equation to solve for your linear speed. Then divide by your new radius.

I think that is how I would do it if you do not want to use conservation of momentum.

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed refers to the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, whereas linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear speed does not.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a student on a merry-go-round?

The angular speed of a student on a merry-go-round can be affected by the radius of the merry-go-round, the mass of the student, and the force applied to the merry-go-round.

4. How is angular speed related to centripetal force?

Angular speed and centripetal force are directly related. As the angular speed of an object increases, so does the centripetal force needed to keep that object moving in a circular path. This is because a higher angular speed means the object is rotating at a faster rate, requiring a stronger force to maintain its circular motion.

5. Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. A negative angular speed indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction (counterclockwise) compared to a positive angular speed (clockwise).