Electric Field & Conductive Fluid: Exciting Bubble Gas?

In summary, an electric field will excite the gas on the perimeter of a bubble in a conductive fluid if the gas is prone to being excited.
Bishop
Does anyone know if an electric field passing through a column of conductive fluid would excite the gas on the perimeter of a bubble in that fluid, if the gas were prone to be excited?

Physics news on Phys.org
All I know is that if there are charged species in the gas, then those charged species will acellerate in the pressence of an electric field. When those charged particles have a collision with other particles (if it have enough energy), they can transfer energy and exite the gas particle. So, to my knowledge, gas can be exited, if you have a current flowing between the potential diference that is creating the electric field.

Do you mean I would have to charge the gas before I passed it through the
conductive fluid?

There would be a current running from
one end of the channel to the other,
through the fluid.

It is an interesting experiment. I really doesn't know the outcome of it.

I believe some gas lights works on this principle. You have a tube filled with gas, and two electrodes at each end with a potential difference. Some electrons will escape the negative electrode, and will be acellerated. The collission of those electrons with the gas molecules, will exite it, and then produce light. In this case, the gas wasn't charged.

So what I'm saying is, that if a current of charged particles enters the bubble, and the kinetic energy of these particles is enough to exite the particles, then it will do it. The problem here is that a current of any fluid (in this case charged particles) will prefer to go through the path of least resistance. So my guess is that little current will go through the bubbles, but it will be enough to exite them, and you will start to see the bubbles glow (if the delta energy of the ground state to exited state falls in the visible spectra).

yeah, that was the idea.. to get them
to glow on the outside.. I didn't
expect it to get the whole bubble
going.

Wouldn't that make a cool lamp?

Sometimes, I have the strangest ideas.

Oh, especially interesting might be a thick
fluid.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically represented by electric field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged object, such as an electron or a proton. When a charge is present, it creates an electric field around it, which exerts a force on other charges within its field. The strength of the field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

3. What is a conductive fluid?

A conductive fluid is a liquid or gas that is able to conduct electricity. This means that it contains charged particles, such as ions or electrons, that are free to move and carry electric current. Examples of conductive fluids include saltwater, plasma, and even the gases in our atmosphere.

4. How does an electric field interact with a conductive fluid?

An electric field can interact with a conductive fluid in several ways. If the fluid is stationary, the field will cause the charged particles within it to move, creating a current. If the fluid is in motion, such as in the case of a bubble gas, the electric field can exert a force on the fluid, causing it to deform or move in a certain direction.

5. What is the significance of exciting bubble gas with an electric field in a conductive fluid?

Exciting bubble gas with an electric field in a conductive fluid can have various applications, including in the field of fluid dynamics and in the production of microbubbles for medical imaging and drug delivery. This process can also help researchers better understand the behavior of electric fields and conductive fluids, which has implications in many other scientific disciplines.