Need Help (teacher did not cover this)

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
In summary, both the 10 kg crate and the 3.50 kg crate will experience the same acceleration due to the tension in the string.
BunDa4Th
Two packing crates of masses m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 3.50 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in Figure P4.26. The 3.50 kg crate lies on a smooth incline of angle 44.0°. Find the acceleration of the 3.50 kg crate.
m/s2 (up the incline)

Find the tension in the string.
N

p4_26alt.gif

Okay so far I figure out that W1 = m1g = 98N and W2 = m2g = 34.3N and i think i did not even need to find that...

I need help on this because there are more problems like this and i can't seem to figure none of them out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up a free body diagram. What forces act upon each block?
1. What does it mean that the block is SMOOTH?

2. What approximation can you do knowing that the string is LIGHT, and what does this entail, coupled with the knowledge that the pulley is FRICTIONLESS?

Well, I gave this another try and i am still at a lost but found out that acceleration for both block should be the same. (thats if i did my reading correctly)

any help or pointers would really help out since I tried the next problem since i thought it would help figure this out but i was wrong.

Ok, I'll bear out with you:
1. That the incline is SMOOTH means that it is FRICTIONLESS, that is on m2, the only forces acting upon it is gravity and tension. Likewise for m1.

2. That the string is LIGHT means that we may disregard its mass, and thus say the rope is massless. From Newton's 2-law of motion then, it follows that the sum of forces acting upon the string at all points must be zero, otherwise the rope would get infinite acceleration. Since the pulley is frictionless, only normal force and tension act upon the rope segment in contact with the pulley.

From this, it follows that the tension in the rope is CONSTANT throughout the rope.

3. As you've found out by yourself, because the string is inextensible, it follows that the magnitude of the blocks' accelerations must be the same.

That's all you need to solve the problem! :smile:

You need to come up with two equations for T. One for each block, and then set them equal to each other. Pay special attention to the 'direction' of acceleration when you do, i.e. assume a direction you think the blocks will move.

1. What should I do if my teacher did not cover a certain topic?

First, try to find resources on the topic from reputable sources, such as textbooks or online articles. If you are still unable to understand the topic, reach out to your teacher for clarification or additional resources. You can also ask your classmates or a tutor for help.

2. How can I catch up on material that my teacher did not cover?

Start by reviewing any previous material that may be related to the topic. Then, use online resources or textbooks to learn the material on your own. It may also be helpful to find a study group or ask a friend to explain the material to you.

3. What if I have a test on a topic that my teacher did not cover?

If possible, try to reschedule the test or speak to your teacher about the issue. If that is not an option, study the material on your own using reliable resources. You can also ask your teacher if they can provide any additional materials or resources to help you prepare for the test.

4. How can I make sure I understand a topic that my teacher did not cover?

One way to ensure understanding is to teach the material to someone else. This will help you identify any gaps in your knowledge and solidify your understanding of the topic. You can also practice solving problems or answering questions related to the topic to test your understanding.

5. What should I do if my teacher continues to skip important topics?

If you feel like your teacher is regularly skipping important topics, it may be helpful to speak to them directly and express your concerns. You can also reach out to a guidance counselor or school administrator for assistance. Additionally, utilize outside resources to make sure you are still learning the necessary material.