Hydrostatic pressure (basic basic stuff)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hydrostatic pressure and its application to a cylindrical barrel filled with water. Part (a) involves calculating the ratio of hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the gravitational force on the water contained in the barrel, with the correct answer being 2. Part (b) asks why this ratio is not equal to 1, and the answer lies in the fact that the hydrostatic force and weight of the water are not equal due to the forces acting on the bottom of the barrel. Further explanation and conditions for when the ratio would be equal to 1 can be given.
mbrmbrg
hydrostatic pressure (basic, basic stuff)

Homework Statement

In Figure 14-31 (attatched), an open tube of length L = 1.8 m and cross-sectional area A = 4.6 cm2 is fixed to the top of a cylindrical barrel of diameter D = 1.2 m and height H = 1.8 m. The barrel and tube are filled with water (to the top of the tube).
(a)Calculate the ratio of the hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the gravitational force on the water contained in the barrel.
(b)Why is that ratio not equal to 1.0? (You need not consider the atmospheric pressure.)

Homework Equations

P=F/A

[tex]P=P_0+\rho gh[/tex]

[tex]mg=\rho Vg[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If it please the honored members of the site, their humble servant shall not blabber on with the method to the solution. For part (a) I got 2, which is the correct answer.

But part (b) has me stumped--my current answer reads "why would the ratio be 1?" I think I might be able to give a slightly more mature answer if I knew what logical fallacy I am supposed to be disproving...

Attachments

• hrw7_14-31.gif
    hrw7_14-31.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just elaborate on your answer. In science it helps to be clear what you mean, so you could say "Why would the ratio be one? Clearly ..."

I can't help you any more than that without giving you the answer? Think along these lines

y/x will only equal 1 if y=x.

So do you think a good answer would be:
"Because the hydrostatic force (which=[tex]\rho gh\pi r^2[/tex]) does not equal the weight of the water (which=[tex]\rho h(\pi r^2+\pi R^2)g[/tex])."
or is there some blindingly obvious simple satement that I'm just missing?

I'm not sure if that pi*r2 should be there for you hydrostatic force. And I'm not sure your other equation is right either.

Other than that I think it's a decent answer, I would elaborate and give the condition under which the hydrostatic force/weight of water does equal one(start by saying hydro force=weight). And then maybe say that this situation doesn't meet those conditions.

Nope, the equations are fine (after all, they giveth me the correct anthwer to part a:biggrin: ); I just totally failed to explain them in my blurb.

Thenk you very much!

mbrmbrg said:
Nope, the equations are fine (after all, they giveth me the correct anthwer to part a:biggrin: ); I just totally failed to explain them in my blurb.

Thenk you very much!

You could delve into the forces acting that cause the local force on a bit of area at the bottom of a part of the drum that is not under the tube to be greater than the weight of the water above it.

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated?

Hydrostatic pressure can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

3. What factors affect hydrostatic pressure?

The density and height of the fluid, as well as the acceleration due to gravity, are the main factors that affect hydrostatic pressure. Additionally, the shape and size of the container holding the fluid can also affect the pressure.

4. How does hydrostatic pressure differ from atmospheric pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest, while atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere. Hydrostatic pressure can vary depending on the density and height of the fluid, while atmospheric pressure is relatively constant.

5. What are some practical applications of hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure plays a crucial role in various industries, such as water distribution, plumbing, and hydraulic systems. It is also essential for understanding the behavior of fluids in dams, pools, and other structures that hold large amounts of liquid.