Probability question. 52 card deck

• Thread starter peteboymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, In this conversation, the probability of selecting a red card or a picture card from a deck of cards is .030251.
peteboymoron
hi i have a question for hw. i can't seem to get the ans

you are going to draw 4 times, with replacement, from a deck of 52 cards. what is the probability that you will get 2 aces ( you drawing 4 four cards )

the ans is 0.030251
but i can't seem to be able to get to the problem. please work out the solution, thanks alot!

peter

Physics news on Phys.org
P(drawing an ace) = 4/52 = 1/13
P(not drawing an ace) = 1 - 1/13 = 12/13

Each drawing is independent, so we multiply probabilities. We want two aces and two non-aces, so,

(1/13)(1/13)(12/13)(12/13)

However, this is the probability for drawing aces the first two cards and then non-aces the second two. We could also draw two non-aces and then draw two aces, or one non-ace, then two aces, then another non-ace, etc. There are, in fact, [itex]\binom{4}{2}[/itex] different orders to draw the aces. Each one has the same probability, so our total probability becomes

[tex]\binom{4}{2}\frac{1}{13}\frac{1}{13}\frac{12}{13}\frac{12}{13} = .030251[/tex].

cookiemonster

*here a cookie

thanks thanks!

This is a binomial question. English people will probably be more familar with writing as 4C2 on a calculator(nCr button) (4 ways out of 2).

Writing nCr is useful in html, but the de facto universal symbol is the one used above using braces. It's only in secondary education (UK, don't know about others, but nCr seems widely used in the US too from what I recall) that some people insist on using the nCr notation and don't tell their students there is a more widely used one. Just as they insist on calling it the Argand plane/diagram, when no mathematician (professional) would use that terminology in an article.And I am an English mathematician. And one who got flamed for requesting someone not just tell me they were doing sophomore calc when attempting to describe the level of the course they were doing.

I'm in the States and I originally learned the nCr notation back in second year algebra or something because the textbook used nCr notation. We were then shown the notation I used above in pre-calculus when discussing the binomial theorem because the textbook used that notation. The textbooks we used are, if I recall correctly, hugely popular in US schools, so I'd say that most students here are familiar with both by the time they get out of high school.

I was never a huge fan of the nCr notation, but I always thought the braces notation looked pretty tidy, so that's what I use.

cookiemonster

nCr notation is easier to lay out

Hello I have a question similar to Peter's

If one card is selected at random from a deck of cards. What is the probability that the card selected is a red card or a picture card.

All you have to do for that one is count how many cards are red or picture cards and divide by fifty-two.

Alternatively, count the red cards, count the picture cards, and count the red picture cards. If you add the first two numbers together, you will have counted the red picture cards twice, so subtract that number. That'll be the same total as the first method.

It's good to be familiar with all the useful notation. I prefer the binomial notation of [itex]\binom{n}{r}[/itex], but nCr and C(n;r) have their niches. The latter, e.g. when extending to C(n;r1,r2,...,rm).

What is the probability of drawing a heart from a standard 52 card deck?

The probability of drawing a heart from a standard 52 card deck is 13/52 or approximately 25%. This is because there are 13 hearts in a deck of 52 cards.

If a card is drawn from a deck and not replaced, what is the probability of drawing a spade on the second draw?

The probability of drawing a spade on the second draw is 12/51 or approximately 23.5%. This is because after the first draw, there are now only 12 spades left in the deck of 51 cards.

What is the probability of drawing a face card (jack, queen, king) from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card from a deck of cards is 12/52 or approximately 23.1%. This is because there are 12 face cards (4 jacks, 4 queens, and 4 kings) in a deck of 52 cards.

If two cards are drawn from a deck, what is the probability that both cards are red?

The probability of drawing two red cards from a deck is 26/52 x 25/51 or approximately 25%. This is because after the first draw, there are 26 red cards left in the deck of 51 cards, and after the second draw, there are 25 red cards left in the deck of 50 cards.

What is the probability of drawing a black card or a face card from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a black card or a face card from a deck of cards is (26+12)/52 or approximately 69.2%. This is because there are 26 black cards and 12 face cards in a deck of 52 cards, and some cards may fall into both categories (e.g. a black face card).