Aerobatic flight and the physics principles

In summary: The student is asking for help with a physics assignment. The teacher has given no specific instructions, but the student is hoping to cover topics such as centipetal force and the FAA's cutoff for aerobatic flight. The student is also looking for help finding good websites. None of the physics principals that apply to normal flight are specific to aerobatic flight, so the student is unsure of what to research.
loz&
hey! can anyone help me. i have this as a physics assignment and that is all the guidance the teacher gave me.

im not quite sure wat to research on this topic. i think she wants me to cover the stuff about centipetal force??

and i can't seem to find many good websites. besides heaps of aviation website which just detail how to do the manoeuvres!

help anyone?!?

Science news on Phys.org
IIRC the FAA cutoff between normal utility category flight and aerobatic flight is accelerations above 3.5g.
Any particular maneuver may or may not be aerobatic depending on how you execute the maneuver.

I can't think of any physics principals that apply to aerobatic flight that are not covered in normal flight.

I think you are entitled to a better explanation of what they are looking for.

Maybe she just wants that you explain the forces involved in a looping the loop.

The physics principals for aerobatic flight would be the same as normal flight, with some "exceptions". Some examples:

True Snap Roll - It's possible to produce a very fast roll reaction with just "excessive" up elevator input (down could work as well, but would probably overstress the pilot or aircraft). I'll leave it to you to explain this. I've experienced this with radio control models. I'm not sure how many full scale aerobatic planes can handle the stress.

Knife edge flight - Wings are vertical, so the only lift come from the aircraft fuselage and any vertical components.

Vertical hover - all lift produced from prop. This can also result in a torque reaction roll during a hover or near hover.

Lack of pitch or roll stablity - most aerobatic aircraft are neutral or near neutral, with no pitch or roll stability. They still have yaw stability.

I'm assuming that aerobatic radio control helicopters are not part of this assignment, since those can "fly" sideways or backwards or upside down without issue, and pitch, roll, and yaw are virtually independent of direction traveled, as demonstrated in this video. The action starts at 25 seconds into the video. rcheli.wmv

Last edited:

1. What is aerobatic flight?

Aerobatic flight is a specialized type of flying that involves performing maneuvers and stunts in an aircraft. These maneuvers require a high level of skill and precision, and are often seen in air shows and competitions.

2. What are the physics principles involved in aerobatic flight?

Aerobatic flight relies on several key physics principles, including lift, drag, thrust, and weight. Pilots use these principles to manipulate the airflow around the aircraft and perform the desired maneuvers.

3. How do aerobatic pilots maintain control during extreme maneuvers?

Aerobatic pilots use a combination of control inputs and the aircraft's design to maintain control during extreme maneuvers. They also undergo extensive training and practice to develop the necessary skills and muscle memory.

4. What safety precautions are taken during aerobatic flight?

Aerobatic pilots follow strict safety protocols, including pre-flight checks, wearing appropriate safety gear, and conducting maneuvers at a safe altitude. They also have a dedicated team on the ground monitoring their flight and ready to respond in case of an emergency.

5. Can anyone become an aerobatic pilot?

Becoming an aerobatic pilot requires a high level of skill, physical fitness, and mental focus. While anyone can learn the basics of aerobatic flight, it takes years of training and practice to become a skilled and certified aerobatic pilot.