How Many Ways Can Tools Be Arranged on a Rack with Restrictions?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary: I think it would be helpful to have a list of the different permutations so that we don't have to keep track of them in our heads.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

1. A carpenter has 3 identical hammers, 5 different screwdrivers, 2 identical mallets, 2 different saws and a tape-measure. She wishes to hang the tools in a row on a tool rack on the wall. In how many ways can this be done if the first and last positions on the rack are to be mallets and the hammers are not to be next to each other?

Homework Equations

The number of ways of arranging n objects which include 'a' identical objects of one type, 'b' identical objects of another type,... is
n!/(a!b!...)

n objects divided into m groups with each group having G1, G2, ..., Gm objects respectively has m! * G1! * G2! * ... *Gm!

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the mallets are identical and there are only 2, we don't have to worry about them. We can reduce the problem to 11 objects to be arranged. Since out of the 11 objects, 3 are identical which are the hammers we have a total of 11!/3! ways of permuting the 11 objects. However we don't want the
hammers to be next to each other.

So calculate the ways they are next to each other. We have 9 groups of objects. As the hammers are identical and must all be next to each other in a threesome, we have 9! ways of permuting the 11 objects. So we subtract the cases when the hammers are next to each other.
11!/3!-9!=6289920

However the answers suggested 13063680 ways.

I can't see what is wrong with my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
...So calculate the ways they are next to each other. We have 9 groups of objects. As the hammers are identical and must all be next to each other in a threesome, we have 9! ways of permuting the 11 objects. So we subtract the cases when the hammers are next to each other.
11!/3!-9!=6289920

However the answers suggested 13063680 ways.

I can't see what is wrong with my reasoning.

Yeah, looks nearly correct to me. You forget to drop out the ways, in which only 2 hammers go together, and the 3rd one is not next to any hammer.

Btw, what book are you using? I don't think you should trust the answer provided by that book. Since, in here, I see at least 2 of 4 answers the book proposed are wrong, i.e 50% wrong. :bugeye: So, don't trust it. o:)

VietDao29 said:
Yeah, looks nearly correct to me. You forget to drop out the ways, in which only 2 hammers go together, and the 3rd one is not next to any hammer.

Btw, what book are you using? I don't think you should trust the answer provided by that book. Since, in here, I see at least 2 of 4 answers the book proposed are wrong, i.e 50% wrong. :bugeye: So, don't trust it. o:)

Very good. I didn't take that into accout. I'll do the calculation as total permutation minus all cases when two hammers are together since that will include cases when 3 hammers are together. When two hammers are next to each other , there are 10! different permutations so 11!/3!-10!=3024000

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
Very good. I didn't take that into accout. I'll do the calculation as total permutation minus all cases when two hammers are together since that will include cases when 3 hammers are together. When two hammers are next to each other , there are 10! different permutations so 11!/3!-10!=3024000

Well, that's what I get, too. :)

1. What is the definition of a 1st combinatorial problem?

A 1st combinatorial problem is a type of mathematical or computer science problem that involves finding the number of ways to combine or arrange a set of objects or elements, often subject to certain constraints.

2. What are some examples of 1st combinatorial problems?

Some examples of 1st combinatorial problems include finding the number of possible seating arrangements at a dinner party, determining the number of ways to arrange a set of letters to form different words, and calculating the number of possible outcomes in a game of chance.

3. What strategies can be used to solve 1st combinatorial problems?

Some common strategies for solving 1st combinatorial problems include listing out all possible combinations, using formulas such as permutations and combinations, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How is 1st combinatorial problem solving used in real-world applications?

1st combinatorial problem solving has many real-world applications, including in computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to analyze and optimize various systems such as network routing, scheduling, and resource allocation.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with 1st combinatorial problem solving?

Yes, there are various online calculators and software programs that can assist with solving 1st combinatorial problems. Additionally, there are textbooks and online resources that provide explanations, examples, and practice problems to improve problem-solving skills in this area.