How Does a Boy Affect the Angular Velocity of a Merry-Go-Round When He Jumps On?

• Thread starter masamune
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the situation of a boy of mass 50 kg jumping onto a merry-go-round of mass 150 kg and radius 2 m, which is initially at rest and can rotate about a frictionless pivot at its center. The question is to determine the angular velocity of the merry-go-round after the boy has jumped onto it. The correct method involves setting the boy's rotational inertia equal to the rotational inertia of the entire system, which is the sum of the boy's inertia and the disk's inertia. The rotational inertia of a uniform disk rotating about its center of mass is 1/2MR^2, while the rotational inertia of a point mass is MR^2. The final calculation would be (\frac{
masamune
A boy of mass m = 50 kg running with speed v = 4 m/s jumps onto the outer edge of a merry-go-round of mass M = 150 kg and radius R = 2 m, as shown in the picture above. The merry-go-round is initially at rest, and can rotate about a frictionless pivot at its center. You may assume that the inital velocity of the boy is tangent to the edge of the merry-go round.

Treat the boy as a point particle and the merry-go-round as a uniform solid disk. What is the angular velocity of the merry-go-round after the boy has jumped onto it?

I don't know if I can do this, but I set the linear momentum of the boy equal to the angular momentum of the merry-go-round with the boy.
Basically, mv = Iw
For my moment of inertia, I used the sum of both masses and plugged my given information into ((M+m)R^2)/2. This was how I calculated moment of inertia. Then I plugged the boy's mass and his initial speed divided by my moment of inertia and tried to get omega (w). I got 0.5 exactly, but it's not correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• merry.gif
    merry.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,324
Physics news on Phys.org
linear momentum and angular momentum are not the same thing.

What you want to do is set the boys rotational inertia to the rotational intertia of the entire system.

you should get something like

mvr = Iw

I is the I of the system, I am sure you can figure that out..

Is my method of calculating the I of the system correct? I took the sum of the boy and the merry-go-round, multiplied by the square of the radius and all that divided by 2.This should give me the the I of the ystem right?

masamune said:
Is my method of calculating the I of the system correct? I took the sum of the boy and the merry-go-round, multiplied by the square of the radius and all that divided by 2.This should give me the the I of the ystem right?

you need to add the I of the boy and the I of the disk

I for a uniform disk rotating about the center of mass is [tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]

I for a point mass is [tex]MR^2[/tex]

add them together you get [tex] (\frac{1}{2}M_{merry-go-round} + M_{boy})R^2 [/tex]

What is a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment?

A "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment is a classic physics demonstration where a person stands on a rotating platform, such as a merry-go-round, and holds onto a rope attached to a fixed point. As the platform rotates, the person pulls on the rope, causing a change in the rotational velocity of the platform.

What is the purpose of a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment?

The purpose of a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment is to demonstrate the concept of angular momentum and how it can be manipulated by external forces. It also illustrates the principles of torque and centripetal force.

What are the variables involved in a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment?

The variables involved in a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment include the mass of the person, the radius of the platform, the rotational velocity of the platform, and the tension in the rope.

How does the rotational velocity of the platform change in a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment?

The rotational velocity of the platform will increase when the person pulls on the rope, as this decreases the moment of inertia and increases the angular velocity. The rotational velocity will decrease when the person releases the rope, increasing the moment of inertia and decreasing the angular velocity.

What are the real-world applications of a "Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiment?

"Boy and Merry-Go-Round" experiments have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, where understanding angular momentum and torque is important for designing structures and machines. They also have applications in sports and games that involve rotation, such as figure skating and gymnastics.