Internal Reflection Problem

In summary: Attempt at a SolutionMy attempt at the solution was to first find angle of refraction, and I found it using Snell's Law. Theta_r = 30 degreesThen, if you check the figure I attached, I formed an extension and completed the triangle. Using this, I found angle of incidence.Theta_I = 90-30 = 60 degreesAfterwards, I got a triangle of the complete ray. I drew the triangle in the figure I attached. I had Y, which is (l = 3.1 mm). I need to find x, so I used the tangent ratio .x = (3.1 x 10^-3) tan(60
JinM
[SOLVED] Internal Reflection Problem

Homework Statement

(please check attachment for figure)
ni = 1
nr = 1.48
theta_I = 50 degrees
l = 3.1 mm
w = 42 cm

Find N (Number of reflections before laser beam finally emerges).

Homework Equations

Snell's Law: ni sin theta_I = nr sin theta_r

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution was to first find angle of refraction, and I found it using Snell's Law.
Theta_r = 30 degrees

Then, if you check the figure I attached, I formed an extension and completed the triangle. Using this, I found angle of incidence.

Theta_I = 90-30 = 60 degrees

Afterwards, I got a triangle of the complete ray. I drew the triangle in the figure I attached. I had Y, which is (l = 3.1 mm). I need to find x, so I used the tangent ratio .

x = (3.1 x 10^-3) tan(60) = 5.4 x 10^-3 m

Then, I used the following ratio:

N= w/x = (42 x 10^-2) / (5.4 x 10^-3) = 77.8

I rounded the value up to get 78. I don't know, but I'm afraid that I might have done a mistake. Can someone please go over my solution and check if I'm correct?

Thanks,
Jin

EDIT: Whilst someone approves my attachment, here's the problem text: A laser beam traveling in air strikes the midpoint of one
end of a slab of material as shown in Figure 15-24. The
index of refraction of the slab is 1.48. Determine the
number of internal reflections of the laser beam before
it finally emerges from the opposite end of the slab.

Attachments

• physics figure.PNG
    physics figure.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 901
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
N= w/x equation; the w is not the width of whole slab. Subtract the distance which first green line(in left picture, upper figure) cross of upper surface to the left of slab.

Hello, and thanks for looking over my post!
I feel foolish that I actually included the width of the slab that contains the refracted ray. The question is asking me for the number of reflections. The first refracted ray wasn't long enough to have the same value of x as the other rays, so I extended it, and the width of the slab. I found the length I needed to subtract from the total width, and then I found the total number of reflections (N). It's about the same answer (77.037). Tell me, am I on the right track?

Also, when I get the value of N, and it's in decimals, I should round up, right?

Thanks again,
Jin

Sorry for double posting, but I need to make sure of my answer. Can someone look over my questions and check if I did it correctly?

Again sorry,
Jin

now i can not check your result but show you a picture below. With right width(w) and rounding the result is ok. Absolutly the units important, all must be the same.
208v2uo.jpg

I didn't get the chance to thank you for clearing it up: Thanks a lot. :D

Jin

1. What is the Internal Reflection Problem?

The Internal Reflection Problem is a phenomenon in which light rays that are supposed to travel through a transparent material are reflected back into the material at the boundary between two different refractive indices. This can cause a decrease in the amount of light transmitted through the material and can have implications in various scientific fields.

2. What causes the Internal Reflection Problem?

The Internal Reflection Problem is caused by the mismatch in refractive index between two materials, such as air and glass. When light travels from a material with a higher refractive index to one with a lower refractive index, it bends away from the normal line. However, when the angle of incidence is too large, the light is reflected back into the material instead of being transmitted through it.

3. What are the effects of the Internal Reflection Problem?

The effects of the Internal Reflection Problem can vary depending on the application. In optics, it can result in a decrease in the amount of light transmitted through a lens or optical element, leading to decreased image quality. In electronics, it can cause signal loss and decrease the efficiency of devices such as solar cells. In biology, it can affect the transmission of light through tissues and impact imaging techniques.

4. How can the Internal Reflection Problem be avoided or minimized?

One way to avoid or minimize the Internal Reflection Problem is by using anti-reflection coatings on the surfaces of materials. These coatings are designed to reduce the mismatch in refractive indices and allow more light to be transmitted through the material. Another approach is to use materials with similar refractive indices or to design the geometry of the material to reduce the angle of incidence of the light.

5. What are some applications of the Internal Reflection Problem?

The Internal Reflection Problem has implications in various fields of science and technology. In optics, it is important to consider in the design of lenses and optical instruments. In electronics, it can affect the performance of devices such as solar cells and LEDs. In biology, it is relevant in imaging techniques such as microscopy and endoscopy. It is also important in materials science and can impact the development of new materials for various applications.