Uncovering the Mystery: How a Wheel and Axle Multiply Force in Simple Machines

• Thread starter Infrasound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, the axle exerts more force than the wheel because it can be exerted over a shorter distance. This is why the force is different at the two different radii.
Infrasound
Here is something that has been bothering me for quite a while...

Growing up, I was always taught that a wheel and axle decreased effort by multiplying the input force. In other words, the axle actually exerts more force than the wheel, just over a shorter distance.

This makes sense and conserves overall work, yet I am not completely satisfied with my current level of understanding.

WHY does the axle exert more force? How did the force get multiplied? To me, the "because it is can be exerted over a shorter distance" holds no ground, becuase it does not explain the balancing of two opposite but unequal forces using a wheel and axle. If they are indeed balanced, then the force is not exerted over a distance.

Sometimes I feel as if I am the only one who just does not get it.

How does the force increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps there is something obvious that I am not considering?

Do I have a serious mental disorder that is not allowing me to understand something simple?

I feel like I have lost it here.

Do you understand how a lever works? The wheel & axle can be viewed as a first class lever. A small force at the edge of the wheel translates into a large force at the axle, and vice versa. (Of course, the torque is the same.)

Yes, I understand that it is really just a first class lever, but WHY does the force translate to a different amount? To me, the force being applied over a smaller distance is just an inherent side effect, not the cause of the force being different at the two different radii. Thats what I wan't to know. How can the force be different if two different loads can be in balance? It's not moving then, so force is NOT being exerted over a distance.

I don't want this to be a situation where I have to use the "It just does" excuse. Let me get my barf bucket!

Last edited:

What is a wheel and axle?

A wheel and axle is a simple machine that consists of a wheel attached to a rod or axle. The wheel and axle work together to multiply force and make it easier to move heavy objects.

How does a wheel and axle multiply force?

The wheel and axle multiply force by reducing the amount of friction and resistance when moving an object. The wheel allows the axle to rotate, reducing the amount of force needed to move an object.

What are some examples of a wheel and axle?

Some common examples of a wheel and axle include a bicycle, a doorknob, a screwdriver, and a steering wheel. In each of these examples, the wheel and axle work together to make it easier to move or rotate an object.

What other simple machines work together with a wheel and axle?

A wheel and axle can work together with other simple machines such as a lever or pulley to increase the amount of force applied. For example, a wheel and axle can be combined with a lever to create a wheelbarrow, which makes it easier to lift and move heavy objects.

How is the wheel and axle used in modern technology?

The wheel and axle is used in many modern technologies, including cars, trains, and airplanes. The wheel and axle are also used in industrial equipment, such as cranes and conveyor belts, to move heavy objects efficiently.