Rolling disk with point mass on edge

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point mass attached to the rim of a solid disk that is rolled slightly away from its equilibrium position and released. The problem is to find the period of the motion, which is shown to be equal to T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{3MR}{2mg}}. The conversation also touches on various equations and methods, including conservation of energy, torque, and the parallel axis theorem. Ultimately, the easiest way to solve the problem is through conservation of energy, by writing the kinetic energy and potential energy equations and solving for the equation of motion.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

A point mass m is attached to the rim of an otherwise uniform solid disk of mass M and radius R (in the diagram mass m is in contact with the ground). The disk is rolled slightly away from its equilibrium position and released. It rolls back and forth without slipping. Show that the period of this motion is given by
[tex] T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{3MR}{2mg}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]
[tex]I \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}=-\kappa \theta[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{\kappa}{I}}[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess would have been
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2 + mR^2[/tex]
and then
[tex]I\alpha = -mgR\sin\theta \approx -mgR\theta[/tex]
now we have kappa and I so we can pop that into solve for T which gives a big mess. This problem is a bit tricky for me as I am trying to look for a stationary axis to take torques about and not sure about how to apply the parallel axis theorem with the point mass (do I even need to use it?). I tried calculating the centre of mass of the disk just for kicks and it turned out to be a point 2/3R from the centre (using Centre of Mass = [itex]\int r dm[/itex]) but it should be in the centre...thats another story.

It seems there must be a pretty easy way to solve it but I can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
vladimir69 said:
A point mass m is attached to the rim of an otherwise uniform solid disk of mass M and radius R (in the diagram mass m is in contact with the ground). The disk is rolled slightly away from its equilibrium position and released. It rolls back and forth without slipping. Show that the period of this motion is …

… I am trying to look for a stationary axis to take torques about …

It seems there must be a pretty easy way to solve it but I can't see it.

Hi vladimir69! :smile:

Hint: conservation of energy :wink:

Thanks for the reply
Not sure how using conservation of energy will allow me to find the period of oscillations for this problem. Not 100% sure how to apply conservation of energy for this problem either.

I am tempted to work it out by trying to find a way so that (analogous to a pendulum)
[tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha=-\frac{1}{3}mgR\theta[/tex]
because from the above equation you can get omega and then immediately go to the period T using [itex]T=2\pi\frac{1}{\omega}[/itex]

edit: not sure why my latex is not showing correctly, it is displaying stuff I made in previous posts.

Last edited:
vladimir69 said:
I am tempted to work it out by trying to find a way so that (analogous to a pendulum)
[tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha =-\frac{1}{3}mgR\theta[/tex]
because from the above equation you can get omega and then immediately go to the period T using [itex]T=2\pi\frac{1}{\omega}[/itex]
vladimir69 said:
i am still working on it but can't proceed
my brain is still stuck in thinking of pendulums and not of conservation of energy
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha=-mgR\theta
[/tex]
thats my pendulum equation for this system but its missing a factor of a 1/3

hope you can help
thanks tiny tim

Hi vladimir69! Thanks for the PM. :smile:

I think conservation of energy is the easiest way …

the KE of the disc is its linear KE (1/2 Mv2) plus its rotational KE (1/2 Iθ'2) …

(and add the KE of the point mass, but you should find that it's second-order and can be ignored :wink:)

and the PE is mgR(1 - cosθ), ~ 1/2 mgRθ2

then write v as a function of R and θ, ignore anything of second order in θ,

and the equation KE + PE = constant should give you

(something)θ'2 + (something else)θ2 = constant,

which you can then solve. :smile:

What is a rolling disk with point mass on edge?

A rolling disk with point mass on edge refers to a physical system consisting of a disk that is rolling on a flat surface while also having a point mass attached to the edge of the disk. The point mass is free to move along the edge of the disk as it rolls.

What is the significance of studying this system?

Studying a rolling disk with point mass on edge can help us understand the principles of rotational motion, conservation of energy, and angular momentum. It also has practical applications in engineering and physics, such as in the design of vehicles and machines.

How does the motion of the point mass affect the motion of the rolling disk?

The motion of the point mass on the edge of the disk causes the disk to have a non-uniform rotational motion. This is because the point mass adds an additional torque to the disk, which changes its angular velocity. The motion of the point mass also affects the stability and balance of the rolling disk.

What is the difference between a point mass and a distributed mass on a rolling disk?

A point mass is a theoretical concept that represents an object with all its mass concentrated at a single point. On the other hand, a distributed mass refers to an object with its mass spread out over a certain area or volume. In a rolling disk system, a point mass on the edge represents a small, concentrated mass while a distributed mass would represent a larger, spread out mass on the disk.

What are some real-life examples of a rolling disk with point mass on edge?

One example of this system is a coin rolling on its edge. The coin acts as the disk, while the point mass is represented by the small raised edge of the coin. Another example is a satellite in orbit, where the satellite is the disk and the point mass is the satellite's center of mass that is constantly moving along the orbit.