Probability of Type I/Type II Selection in Lab Experiment

In summary, in a lab experiment, a mouse can choose one of two food types each day, type I and type II. Records show that if a mouse chooses type I on a given day, then there is a 75% chance that it will choose type I the next day and if it chooses type II on one day, then there is a 50% chance that it will choose type II the next day. Using a transition matrix, the probability of the mouse choosing type I two days from now is 0.5, while the probability of choosing type II in three days is 2.5. However, the state vectors used for these calculations are incorrect as they do not sum up to 1.
roam

Homework Statement

In a lab experiment, a mouse can choose one of two food types each day, type I and type II. Records show that if a mouse chooses type I on a given day, then there is a 75% chance that it will choose type I the next day and if it chooses type II on one day, then there is a 50% chance that it will choose type II the next day.

(a) If the mouse chooses type I today, what is the probability that it will choose type I two days from now?

(b) If the mouse chooses type II today, what is the probability that it will choose type II three days from now?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a suitable transition matrix for this phenomenon is:

[tex]Px_{t} = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 0.25&0.5 \\ 0.75&0.5 \end{array}\right][/tex] [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} x_{1}(t) \\ x_{2}(t) \end{array}\right][/tex]

for part (a) I have the initial condition [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 0.25&0.5 \\ 0.75&0.5 \end{array}\right][/tex] [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 2 \\ 0 \end{array}\right][/tex][tex]= \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 0.5 \\ 1.5 \end{array}\right][/tex]

So the probability is 0.5?

for part (b) the initial condition is (0,1). This time we end up with:

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 1.5 \\ 2.5 \end{array}\right][/tex] !

The probability of choosing type II in three days is 2.5 :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
And btw last part of the questions asks:

If there is 10% chance that the mouse will choose type I today, what is the probability that it will choose type I tomorrow?

I'm not sure how to use my matrix to solve find this.
I appreciate some guidance. Thanks :)

Isn't your matrix transposed?

Borek said:
Isn't your matrix transposed?

No, which matrix?

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} x_{1}(t) \\ x_{2}(t) \end{array}\right][/tex] is the state vector.

I think that's what I thought. Rows should sum to 1.

I'm looking at an example in my textbook and only columns sum to 1 not rows.

So perhaps you should use a row vector for a state vector? That's a matter of convention.

Sum of probablities should be 1, so both your state vectors (for a and b) are wrong.

1. What is the difference between Type I and Type II selection in a lab experiment?

In a lab experiment, Type I selection refers to situations where individuals with a particular trait are favored over others, leading to an increase in the frequency of that trait in the population. Type II selection, on the other hand, occurs when individuals with a certain trait are at a disadvantage, causing a decrease in the frequency of that trait in the population.

2. How do you calculate the probability of Type I and Type II selection in a lab experiment?

The probability of Type I and Type II selection can be calculated using statistical methods such as chi-square analysis or regression analysis. These methods take into account the frequency of the trait in the population, the sample size, and the observed and expected frequencies of the trait in the experiment.

3. What factors can affect the probability of Type I and Type II selection in a lab experiment?

The probability of Type I and Type II selection can be affected by various factors such as the sample size, the strength of selection, and the genetic variation in the population. Additionally, the experimental design and any potential confounding variables can also influence the results.

4. Can the probability of Type I and Type II selection be manipulated in a lab experiment?

Yes, the probability of Type I and Type II selection can be manipulated in a lab experiment through the experimental design and the selection pressures applied. By controlling these factors, researchers can alter the frequency of a particular trait in the population and observe the effects of selection.

5. What are the implications of understanding the probability of Type I and Type II selection in a lab experiment?

Understanding the probability of Type I and Type II selection in a lab experiment can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of evolution and the factors that drive changes in a population over time. This knowledge can also have practical applications in fields such as medicine and conservation, where understanding selection pressures can help inform strategies for disease prevention and species preservation.