Calculating Energy Output of the Sun on Washington State

Your final answer should be 4.43 x 10^11 kWh. Keep in mind that this is an average value and may vary depending on weather conditions.
jpartdq

Homework Statement

The sun outputs about 3.9x1026 W of power, a small fraction of which reaches the Earth’s surface. The sun provides about 100 W/m2 of power to the Earth’s surface averaged over time and weather. How much energy is deposited on average by the sun on Washington state in an average day? Washington is 71,302 square miles in area. Give your answer in both Joules and in kilowatt-hours (1 KWH = 3.6x106J).

Homework Equations

This I don't know. We're learning about the change in KE and PE... equations such as MGH.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start here. I'm not expecting an answer but can someone put me in the right direction to help me get started? I can try and figure it out from there. Maybe help me with the relevant equation... thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given how much power is delivered to each square meter.
How many square meters in Washington?
The question asks for "energy"; you'll need a formula to relate energy to power.

W = J/s so the sun gives 100J/s /m^2 to the earth

1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers
Washinhton is 71,302 Mi^2 = 71,302 * 1,609^2 = 184592 km^2 = 184592 * 10^6 m^2there are 60*60*24 = 86400 seconds in one day

so energy output = 100 * 184592 * 10^6 * 86400 = 1594874880000 * 10^6 J = 443020800000 kWh = 4,43 * 10 ^ 11 kWh
E = J/s /m^2 * m^2 * s = J (to check for right units)

Looks good to me.

What is "energy output"?

"Energy output" refers to the amount of energy produced or released by a system or device. It can be measured in different units such as joules, watts, or calories.

Why is energy output important?

Energy output is important because it allows us to understand how much energy a system or device can provide. This is crucial for determining the efficiency and effectiveness of energy sources and technologies.

How is energy output measured?

Energy output can be measured in a variety of ways depending on the type of energy. For example, electricity can be measured using a device called a wattmeter, while heat energy can be measured using a thermometer. Other types of energy, such as mechanical energy, can be measured using mathematical calculations.

What factors affect energy output?

The amount of energy output can be affected by several factors, including the type of energy source, the efficiency of the device or system, and external factors such as temperature and weather conditions.

How can energy output be increased?

Energy output can be increased by improving the efficiency of the system or device, using more advanced technologies, or increasing the amount of energy input into the system. However, it is important to consider the potential environmental and economic impacts of increasing energy output.