Switching programs in graduate school.

In summary, the speaker has recently applied to doctoral programs in chemistry but is now considering chemical engineering due to potential job opportunities. They ask about the difficulty of switching programs in graduate school and it is noted that it is more difficult than changing majors as an undergraduate. It is possible to do research in chemical engineering as a chemistry student, but ultimately the degree will still be in chemistry unless they reapply to the other program.
-DB
I've recently finished applying to a few doctoral programs in chemistry for next fall, but I am now thinking that maybe I should have looked into chemical engineering instead. I'm just getting a feeling that chemical engineering would be a bit more interesting and that there might be more job opportunities. So, I know that the policies vary from university to university, but in general, how difficult would it be to switch programs after I start graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, policies vary. But in general, it is quite a bit more difficult than changing majors as an undergrad. As an undergrad, admissions are done by the university. In grad school, they are done by the department.

Vanadium 50 said:
You're right, policies vary. But in general, it is quite a bit more difficult than changing majors as an undergrad. As an undergrad, admissions are done by the university. In grad school, they are done by the department.

I agree. There may be a remote chance that as a chemistry student you can do your research under a professor or adjuct professor in Chem E... but you'll still have to do the chemistry coursework and comprehensive (or qualifying) exams, and get your degree in Chemistry, unless you reapply to the other program (and therefore delay your graduate studies a year).

1. Can I switch programs in graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to switch programs in graduate school. However, the process and requirements for switching may vary depending on the institution and program.

2. What factors should I consider before switching programs?

Some factors to consider before switching programs include your academic interests and goals, the availability of resources and funding in the new program, and the potential impact on your graduation timeline.

3. Do I need to start over if I switch programs?

It depends on the program and the courses you have already taken. In some cases, you may be able to transfer credits and continue your graduate studies without starting over. However, you may also need to take additional courses to fulfill the requirements of the new program.

4. Will switching programs affect my funding or scholarships?

It is possible that switching programs may affect your funding or scholarships, as some awards are specifically tied to a particular program or department. It is important to discuss this with your advisor and the financial aid office before making the switch.

5. How do I go about switching programs in graduate school?

The process for switching programs may vary, but it typically involves meeting with your current advisor and the advisor of the new program, submitting an application, and providing transcripts and other required documents. It is important to start the process early and communicate with all parties involved to ensure a smooth transition.