Difference b/w Dual core and core 2 duo

In summary, there are two main types of processors from Intel: Duo and Core 2. The main difference is that Core 2 is a newer line that will eventually be replaced by the i5, while Duo is an older line. Both types have two physical processors on one die, but Core 2 utilizes newer generation processors. Additionally, there are other sub-categories such as dual core, quad core, and i7, each with their own differences in architecture and number of cores.
otomanb
I have always confusion b/w these two processor what's the major difference b/w these technology wise
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Duo is just Intel's processor name for 2 cores. They have core 2 extreme, or core 2 quad with four cpus.

Duo is processor for intel and there are four other CPU...

otomanb said:
I have always confusion b/w these two processor what's the major difference b/w these technology wise
Thanks

Dual Core is intels older line of dual core processors. Core2Duo is their newer line which will be replaced by the i5 I believe.

As BlackVenom stated, both utilize two physical processors on one die. The only difference is that the Core 2 Duos use two newer generation processors.

Dual core simply means 2 cores, while core2duo is a new line of processors.

We have Pentium dual core but Pentium core2duo doesn't exist cause Pentium is a different processor class and core2duo is a different one. Similarly we also have core2quad which is basically 2 core2duo's in one CPU die making a total of 4 cores. On the other hand i7 also has 4 cores but it's a different family.

A different family usually means major architecture differences.

What is the difference between Dual core and Core 2 Duo processors?

Dual core and Core 2 Duo are both types of processors that have two cores, or processing units, on a single chip. The main difference between them is that Core 2 Duo processors have a larger cache size, which allows them to store and access more data quickly. This results in better performance and multitasking capabilities compared to Dual core processors.

Which one is better for gaming, Dual core or Core 2 Duo?

Core 2 Duo processors are generally better for gaming because of their larger cache size and faster processing speeds. They can handle more demanding games and graphics with ease, providing a smoother gaming experience compared to Dual core processors.

Are Dual core and Core 2 Duo processors compatible with the same motherboards?

Yes, both Dual core and Core 2 Duo processors are compatible with the same motherboards as long as they have the same socket type. However, Core 2 Duo processors may require a BIOS update on the motherboard to work properly.

Do Dual core and Core 2 Duo processors have the same power consumption?

No, Core 2 Duo processors generally have a higher power consumption compared to Dual core processors. This is due to their larger cache size and higher processing speeds, which require more energy to operate.

Which one is more expensive, Dual core or Core 2 Duo?

Core 2 Duo processors are typically more expensive than Dual core processors because of their higher performance capabilities. However, the price difference may vary depending on the specific models and specifications of each processor.