Is my graphics card causing my PC to shut off during gaming?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games pc
In summary, the author's Gateway FX6710-01 gaming desktop is overheating and they've tried cleaning out the heat exchanger and fan, vacuuming out the vents, and removing a sticker from the fan.
The_Absolute
I've owned my Gateway FX6710-01 gaming desktop for a little over a year. I used to be able to play games such as Crysis, STALKER Clear Sky, Far Cry 2, CoD 5 World at War, for as long as I wanted without having to worry about my computer shutting itself down because my graphics card is reaching critical temperatures.

Now, I can only play older, DirectX9 games, which don't heat up my graphics card past 110 *C. My CPU temperature is normal, the highest I've seen it (according to CPUID HW manager) is 45 *C. Which is a bit warm, but well below a temperature where the BIOS chip would have to shut it down to prevent it from getting damaged/fried.

My GPU has NOT been overclocked, it is running on its stock speeds. It is using it's stock air cooler. Under the terms of warranty, I cannot RMA my GPU, as I did not purchase it individually. I bought my PC as a whole, from an electronics store.

I can't run Crysis, STALKER Clear Sky, or anything, for more than 20-30 minutes without my computer shutting itself off. The only game I can play is Battlefield 2.

What should I do? If I remove the heatsink, reapply the thermal paste, my warranty is out the drain! Then my stepfather could become violent because then he would have to use money.

My guess is that my card is starting to die. Which I expected because of the inexplicable temperatures. I'm surprised that it lasted as long as it did. Do I have to wait for it to burn itself out to have it replaced under warranty? Should I keep a fire extinguisher next to me?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Open the case, and clean out all the dust. Vacuum out the heat-exchanger and fan in your power supply. I don't mean with one of those wimpy hand-held computer fans. Get out your mom's Electrolux, fit the crevice nozzle on the hose, and clean that sucker. Also clean out the vents on the FRONT side of your PC's case. The air has to come in somewhere, and no matter how clean the fan and exhaust vents are, if the inlets are blocked, your PC will overheat. Last, pull the GPU board, clean it up well, and re-install it. When re-installing a board that hasn't been touched for a while, it is a good idea to put it in the socket and remove it a couple of times, with whatever amount of "play" you could manage, in the process. This wipes the contacts and can resolve some hair-pulling problems (faults that seem to have no rational cause). Good luck.

turbo-1 said:
Open the case, and clean out all the dust. Vacuum out the heat-exchanger and fan in your power supply. I don't mean with one of those wimpy hand-held computer fans. Get out your mom's Electrolux, fit the crevice nozzle on the hose, and clean that sucker. Also clean out the vents on the FRONT side of your PC's case. The air has to come in somewhere, and no matter how clean the fan and exhaust vents are, if the inlets are blocked, your PC will overheat. Last, pull the GPU board, clean it up well, and re-install it. When re-installing a board that hasn't been touched for a while, it is a good idea to put it in the socket and remove it a couple of times, with whatever amount of "play" you could manage, in the process. This wipes the contacts and can resolve some hair-pulling problems (faults that seem to have no rational cause). Good luck.

I've cleaned it out thoroughly with a can of pressurized air. It doesn't help AT ALL with temperatures.

Find the make and model for your video card and do a google search on overheating issues. Wouldn't hurt to do so for your model Gateway either. The cooling system for your tower may be poorly designed. Design flaws with specific models will likely be mentioned by others somewhere.

I had an NVIDIA 8800 GT OC2 which had problems with overheating. I found that the solution was removing a sticker which was poorly placed by the manufacturer (on the fan). Since doing so I have not had any problems with the card.

I'm not saying that this is the fix for your particular issue, just that some digging will likely yield some useful tips in addition to what turbo has suggested.

I cannot provide a definite answer without examining your graphics card and conducting tests. However, based on the information provided, it is possible that your graphics card is causing your PC to shut off during gaming.

The fact that you were able to play demanding games without any issues before and now you can only play older games suggests that there may be a problem with your graphics card's performance. The increase in temperature also indicates that the card may be struggling to handle the workload, causing it to overheat and shut down.

It is also important to note that the stock air cooler may not be sufficient to keep your graphics card cool, especially if it is not properly maintained. Over time, the thermal paste can dry out and lose its effectiveness, causing the card to overheat.

I understand your concern about voiding your warranty by removing the heatsink and reapplying thermal paste. However, if you are comfortable with doing so, it may be worth trying as it could potentially improve the cooling of your graphics card and prevent further damage.

If the issue persists even after trying this, it is best to contact the manufacturer or the store where you purchased the PC and see if they can provide a solution or replacement under warranty. It is not advisable to wait for the card to burn itself out, as it could potentially cause more damage to your PC.

In the meantime, it may be wise to limit your gaming sessions and keep an eye on your graphics card's temperature to avoid any potential hazards.

1. Why does my PC shut off when I try to play graphically intensive games?

This could be due to overheating or insufficient power supply. When your computer is running graphics-intensive games, it requires more power and generates more heat. If your computer is unable to handle this increased demand, it may shut off to prevent damage.

2. How can I prevent my PC from shutting off while playing graphically intensive games?

First, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If it does, then try cleaning out any dust or debris from your computer's fans and vents to improve air flow and prevent overheating. You can also consider upgrading your power supply to provide enough power for your computer to run the game smoothly.

3. Can software issues cause my PC to shut off while playing graphically intensive games?

Yes, software issues can also contribute to your PC shutting off while playing games. Outdated or corrupt drivers, conflicting software, or malware can all affect the performance of your computer and cause it to shut off unexpectedly. Make sure to regularly update your drivers and run antivirus scans to prevent these issues.

4. Is it normal for my PC to shut off occasionally while playing graphically intensive games?

No, it is not normal for your PC to shut off while playing games. While it is common for computers to heat up and potentially slow down during graphics-intensive tasks, your computer should not shut off completely. If this is happening frequently, it is a sign that there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

5. Can my PC permanently damage itself if it keeps shutting off while playing graphically intensive games?

Yes, frequent and sudden shut offs can cause damage to your computer's hardware. This is why it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. If your computer continues to shut off while playing games, it is likely that there is a problem with its hardware or software that needs to be fixed.