Calculating the Density of a Neutron

In summary, the density of a neutron is about 3.19887549*10^57 kg/m^3. However, the method used to calculate this density is not necessary accurate, and the radius of a neutron is unknown.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hi, I did some calculations and I worked out the density of 1 neutron to be about 3.19887549*10^57 kg/m^3. However, I want to know if the method I used is correct.

Density = mass/volume, correct?

If this is true, then

Density = [mass of neutron]/[volume of neutron]

I found the volume of a neutron by modelling it as a sphere, with volume (4/3)pi*r^3. The calculation I ended up doing was;

(1.67492729*(10^27))/(4/3 * pi*((10^-10)/2)^3) = 3.19887549*10^57 kg/m^3

Where the 1.67492729 is the mass of a neutron (source: wikipedia).

Is my working correct?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The method is correct, but where did you get r?

mathman said:
The method is correct, but where did you get r?

It really doesn't matter, since Warner Heisenberg already showed us that when the quantity of one non-commuting variable is known in the subatomic particle, the other variable of that particle becomes uncertain (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle).

I personally think the neutron's radius is unknown yet
And since we always regard neutron as a point,its density is useless
We need only its mass

netheril96 said:
I personally think the neutron's radius is unknown yet
And since we always regard neutron as a point,its density is useless
We need only its mass

Agreed. I'd also like to add that we need know also the neutron's energy (in electron-volts, of course), as well as its spin.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
1.67492729*(10^27)

1.67492729 x 10^27 is most certainly not the mass of the neutron. Check again,.

netheril96 said:
And since we always regard neutron as a point

No we don't. The neutron has a measured radius. Of course, it's boundary is not sharp, but you could say that about many things that have a published radius: a gold atom, the planet Jupiter, the asteroid belt.

10^-10 is more like the radius of an atom (where the electron likes to hang out). It's not the radius of the Neutron...but I suppose you could use that as an upper bound. (Nuclei are more on the order of 10^-15m in radius)

1. What is the definition of density?

Density is a measure of mass per unit volume. In other words, it is how much matter is packed into a given space.

2. How is the density of a neutron determined?

The density of a neutron can be determined by dividing its mass by its volume. This can be calculated by measuring the mass and volume of a large number of neutrons and then taking the average.

3. Why is finding the density of a neutron important?

Knowing the density of a neutron is important for understanding the properties and behavior of neutrons in different environments. It can also provide insights into the structure and composition of atomic nuclei.

4. What units are used to measure the density of a neutron?

The density of a neutron is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

5. How does the density of a neutron compare to other particles?

The density of a neutron is relatively high compared to other subatomic particles. It is about 2.5 times greater than the density of a proton and 10 times greater than the density of an electron.