How Does This Algebraic Equation Simplify to This Result?

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating an equation to produce a specific result. The equation in question involves variables k and d, and the result is 20(3-d)^2=d^2 with a final solution of d=2. The individual has attempted to manipulate the equation themselves but was unsuccessful.
literacola

Homework Statement

Was just wondering how this equation:

[tex](k*16*10^(-6))/d^2=(k*16e-6)/(30-d)^2[/tex]

gets manipulated to produce this result

[tex]20(3-d)^2=d^2 [/tex]

[tex]d=2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried manipulating it myself but it ends up with me spiraling off into pages of crap that is obviously wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you typed that in right?

Were you trying to say this?:
(k*16*10-6)/d2 = (k*16*10-6)/(30-d)2

If so, then first you would cancel the k expressions at the top, reciprocal both sides, expand and solve for d. However, I get a different result than what you give below.

What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of rearranging and simplifying algebraic expressions using mathematical rules such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and using inverse operations.

Why is algebraic manipulation important?

Algebraic manipulation is important because it allows us to solve equations and simplify expressions, making complex problems more manageable and easier to solve.

What are some common techniques used in algebraic manipulation?

Some common techniques used in algebraic manipulation include factoring, expanding, completing the square, and using logarithms and exponents.

How can I improve my skills in algebraic manipulation?

To improve your skills in algebraic manipulation, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the different techniques and rules. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and practice problems.

What are some real-life applications of algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation has many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering to solve equations and model systems, in finance to calculate interest and compound growth, and in computer science to develop algorithms and solve complex problems.