Protostar - Thermal energy change

In summary: JIn summary, to calculate the change in a protostar's thermal energy over a year, we can use the virial theorem and the given luminosity to find the change in kinetic energy, which is equal to the negative of the change in potential energy. This results in the following equation:ΔE_term = -1.105*10^36 J + 2ΔE_kinwhere ΔE_kin can be found by using the given luminosity and the time period of one year.
Fleet

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the change in a protostar's thermal energy [tex]\Delta E_{term}[/tex] on a year.
I am given the protostar's luminosity [tex]L=3,5\cdot 10^{28}\,W[/tex]
Furthermore I am told that the energy that the star radiates comes from the lost potential energy under the star's contraction.

Homework Equations

The virial Theorem: [tex]E_{total}=E_{kin}+E_{pot}=\frac{1}{2}E_{pot}=-E_{kin}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the "radiated" (lost) energy: [tex]3,5\cdot 10^{28} W\cdot 365,25\cdot 24\cdot 60^2 \frac{s}{y}=1,105\cdot 10^{36} J[/tex]
But I don't know how if this is right or how to get to it by arguing from the virial theorem.

I really hope you can help me.

Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

To calculate the change in a protostar's thermal energy over a year, we first need to understand the relationship between the protostar's luminosity and its thermal energy. The luminosity of a star is the amount of energy it radiates per unit time. In the case of a protostar, this energy comes from the lost potential energy due to its contraction.

The virial theorem states that the total energy of a system is equal to twice the kinetic energy of the system. In the case of a protostar, this means that the total energy (E_total) is equal to twice the kinetic energy (E_kin) plus the potential energy (E_pot). This can be written as:

E_total = 2E_kin + E_pot

Since the protostar is contracting, its potential energy is decreasing. This means that the change in potential energy (ΔE_pot) is equal to the negative of the change in kinetic energy (ΔE_kin). In other words:

ΔE_pot = -ΔE_kin

Now, we can rewrite the virial theorem as:

E_total = 2ΔE_kin - ΔE_pot

Since we are interested in the change in thermal energy (ΔE_term) over a year, we can write this as:

ΔE_term = -ΔE_pot = -E_total + 2ΔE_kin

Substituting in the given luminosity (L) and the time period of one year (t = 365.25 days), we get:

ΔE_term = -(L*t) + 2ΔE_kin

= -(3.5*10^28 W * 365.25 days * 24 hours * 60^2 seconds) + 2ΔE_kin

= -1.105*10^36 J + 2ΔE_kin

Therefore, to calculate the change in thermal energy (ΔE_term) over a year, we need to calculate the change in kinetic energy (ΔE_kin). This can be done by using the given luminosity and the time period of one year in the following equation:

ΔE_kin = L*t = 3.5*10^28 W * 365.25 days * 24 hours * 60^2 seconds

= 1.105*10^

What is a protostar?

A protostar is a dense, hot region of gas and dust that is the initial stage of a star's formation.

How does a protostar form?

A protostar is formed when a large cloud of gas and dust collapses under its own gravity. As the cloud collapses, it heats up and becomes more dense, eventually forming a protostar.

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the movement and vibration of particles within a substance. In a protostar, this energy is produced by the intense heat and pressure created by the collapsing gas and dust.

How does thermal energy change during a protostar's formation?

As a protostar continues to collapse, its thermal energy increases and the temperature rises. This process continues until the temperature reaches a point where nuclear fusion can begin, and the protostar becomes a main sequence star.

What is the significance of thermal energy change in a protostar?

The change in thermal energy during a protostar's formation is crucial to its evolution. It determines the temperature and pressure within the protostar, which ultimately determines the type and size of the star it will become.