Which symmetry protects the yukawa couplings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of naturalness and how it relates to the 24 Yukawa couplings in the standard model. The majority of these couplings are almost zero, with only three being different from zero for the top quark. This leads to the need for a group that can protect these couplings, potentially through a multiplet that covers all the massless fermions. Possible groups that could provide this include SO(9), SU(6), and SU(4). The question also arises about the protection of neutrino masses within the standard model and whether reducing the number of Yukawa couplings through SU(3) color could have an impact. There is currently no definitive answer to these questions.
arivero
Gold Member
I asked this in a thread on string theory, but the answer could well be in the standard model, so here I ask the same from the traditional point of view.

Naturalness tells us, roughly, that if there is a quantity near zero, it is because a slightly broken symmetry protects it.

Of the 24 yukawa couplings of the standard model, 21 of them are almost zero. The only three ones different of zero are the ones for the three colours of the top quark.

Se we need a group protecting them, and such group should ideally have a multiplet covering all the massless fermions. It could be and 84 then, or a 42 (if looking at Weyl fermions), or a 21 (if looking at Diract fermions), or something smaller (if we apply SU(3) colour to reduce the number of yukawas from 21 to 11, but the rationale for this is unclear to me).

Groups as SO(9), SU(6) or SU(4) could provide a 84 multiplet, but under which justification could we invoke such groups?

Also, I am nor sure if we have confirmation about the protection of the neutrino mass, it could be they, or some of they, are unprotected and then of the same mass than the top quark.

Enough food for thinking? Any idea about the answer to the question, or at least about the current state of the art?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am interested in this topic as well and it is certainly a lot of food for thought. At this point, I don't think there is a definitive answer, but I am curious to see what other people think about it. It is interesting that you mention the possibility of reducing the number of Yukawa couplings by applying SU(3) color. Do you think this would have any impact on the protection of the massless fermions? Also, have there been any attempts to explain the protection of neutrino masses within the standard model?

1. What is symmetry in physics?

Symmetry in physics refers to the idea that certain physical properties or laws remain unchanged when certain transformations are applied. These transformations can be rotations, translations, or reflections in space or time.

2. How does symmetry protect the yukawa couplings?

In the Standard Model of particle physics, the yukawa couplings are protected by a symmetry known as chiral symmetry. This symmetry ensures that the masses of the fermions (such as quarks and leptons) are small compared to the Planck scale, which would otherwise cause problems with the Higgs mechanism. Chiral symmetry is also related to the conservation of angular momentum and the existence of parity.

3. What is the relationship between symmetry and conservation laws?

Symmetry and conservation laws are closely related in physics. In fact, Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there is a corresponding conservation law. For example, the conservation of energy is a result of the time symmetry of physical laws.

4. Are there other symmetries that protect physical laws besides chiral symmetry?

Yes, there are other symmetries that play a role in protecting physical laws. For example, gauge symmetry is essential in the theory of electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Additionally, symmetries related to space and time, such as translation and rotation symmetry, also play important roles in the laws of physics.

5. How do scientists study the role of symmetry in physics?

Scientists use a variety of mathematical tools and techniques to study the role of symmetry in physics. This can include symmetry groups, Lie algebras, and group representation theory. Additionally, experiments and observations can also provide evidence for the existence and importance of symmetry in physical laws.