Drawing equipotential lines and field lines

In summary, the electric field lines and equipotential lines are perpendicular in the original picture, but the attempt at a solution has the E-field bending more sharply toward the center near the conducting surface.
tmilford

Homework Statement

Draw the electric field lines and equipotential lines for the electrode configure. Assume one of the parallel plate is at a positive potential and the other one is grounded.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the electric field lines and equipotential lines are perpendicular. I drew the lines but am not 100% sure it's correct. I mainly have problems with the equipotential lines

Here's the original picture

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/alliereid1/original.png

And this is my attempt. The purple lines are the equipotential lines and the left side is positive, and black lines are the electric field lines

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/alliereid1/equipotential.png

It'd be great if someone could look it over to see if I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
here's my attempt
attachment.php?attachmentid=32656&stc=1&d=1298876151.png

red ones are equi. pot. surfaces and purple are field lines

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 3,216
I like tmilford's better actually...

Close to the surface of a plate, the E-field should remain about parallel, but as you get closer to the conducting surface, the E-field bends more sharply toward its center.

The E-field at any point between the plate and the conducting surface = E_plate+E_surface (Vector Sum). The E_plate is constant for all space. The E_surface could be modeled as a dipole centered at the center of the surface with aggregate negative charge half-a-radius to the left and aggregate positive charge half-a-radius to the right along the central line. If you consider that only one end of the dipole primarily interacts with the region near its plate, then it looks like a point charge. Then points equidistant from the plate but farther away from the "aggregate charge position" have a less pronounced E-field in the direction of the center of the surface.

Also, the lines should not enter the material parallel to the horizontal central line because close to the surface of the conductor, they would point toward the "aggregate charge position."

Though I may have convoluted that explanation, that's my conceptual two-cents. I like tmilford's diagram better.

hey guys, don't mean to hijack this post, but how would i go about drawying equipotential and field lines for a small circle within a large one, off centre, toward the edge? is there a program to automate this?
i thought of drawing a square outside each of the circles and drawing a line from each corner, then rubbing out those squares and the result is something that looks right, although I'm not quite sure. any help?

As a scientist, it is important to ensure accuracy and precision in all scientific drawings. In this case, drawing electric field lines and equipotential lines requires a thorough understanding of the concepts and principles involved. Your attempt at drawing the lines is a good start, but it is important to check for accuracy and make any necessary corrections.

It is correct that electric field lines and equipotential lines are perpendicular to each other. However, in your drawing, the equipotential lines seem to be curved, which is not accurate. Equipotential lines are always straight and parallel to each other. Additionally, the electric field lines should be evenly spaced and perpendicular to the equipotential lines.

To ensure accuracy in your drawing, it may be helpful to use a ruler or grid paper to make sure the lines are straight and evenly spaced. Also, double-check the direction and placement of the lines to make sure they accurately represent the electric field and potential in the given electrode configuration.

Overall, your attempt is a good start, but it is important to review and make necessary corrections to ensure accuracy in scientific drawings.

What is the purpose of drawing equipotential lines and field lines?

The purpose of drawing equipotential lines and field lines is to visually represent the electric field and potential of a given system. These lines help us understand the direction and strength of the electric field, as well as the regions of constant potential within the system.

What is the difference between equipotential lines and field lines?

Equipotential lines represent points in a system with equal potential, while field lines represent the direction and strength of the electric field. Equipotential lines are always perpendicular to field lines, and they never intersect.

How are equipotential lines and field lines related?

Equipotential lines and field lines are related because they both represent aspects of the electric field and potential of a system. The electric field is always perpendicular to equipotential lines, and the direction of the field can be determined by the direction of the field lines.

What are some common misconceptions about drawing equipotential lines and field lines?

One common misconception is that equipotential lines and field lines are the same thing. As mentioned before, they represent different aspects of the electric field and potential. Another misconception is that field lines are physical lines, when in reality they are just a visual representation of the electric field.

How do you draw equipotential lines and field lines?

To draw equipotential lines, you must first determine the potential at various points in the system. Then, connect points with equal potential using a ruler or straight edge. To draw field lines, you must use the direction of the electric field to determine the path of the lines, starting from positive charges and ending at negative charges.