Which classes? Double major in physics and math? (again )

In summary, the student is a freshman physics major with a time conflict between two pairs of introductory courses: graph theory or continuum mechanics, and statistical mechanics or numerical analysis of ODEs and PDEs. They have taken many math classes already and are considering a double major in math but plan to go to grad school for physics. The student's heart is telling them to go for numerical analysis for its programming aspect and employability, but they are also interested in taking more math classes. Graph theory is a required course for a math major, while continuum mechanics is being taught by a great professor and is seen as a more useful class for a physicist. The student is unsure which combination of classes to choose and is considering taking continuum mechanics and numerical
ephedyn
Background: I'm a freshman physics major, and I noticed that I have a time conflict between these 2 pairs of introductory classes that I want to take, and they are only offered once in 2 years, so I will like some opinion on which I should take:

1. graph theory OR continuum mechanics
2. statistical mechanics OR numerical analysis of ODEs and PDEs

The graph theory class is using a book by Chartrand; the continuum mechanics class is taught without a reference text; the statistical mechanics class is taught from a book by ; the numerical analysis class is taught using a book by R. L. Burden;

My heart tells me to go for numerical analysis because I haven't had any computing classes yet, and this gives me good reason to touch up on my programming ability while doing coursework; and gives me a more employable skill than statistical mechanics.

The issue is, I've already taken more than enough mathematics classes for my physics degree requirements and even a minor in mathematics. There are more interesting math classes coming up ahead: graduate algebra etc. Call it bad planning but I really enjoy taking these extra math classes; at the same time, I'm told it's no point doing a double major in math since I'm planning to go to grad school for physics.

This is where graph theory comes in. I know that graph theory has many applications, in computer science, electrical engineering, and simply as a research area. But these don't seem relevant to my immediate interests/internships/jobs that I am applying for. However - I will need graph theory to graduate with a math major!

Which brings me to where continuum mechanics bothers me... It's being taught by a great professor, it is a very useful class, and I will be building on my background in mechanics, statics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, ODEs, PDEs etc. instead of having a standalone in graph theory. But it's another useful class which will not contribute to my graduation requirements!

To put it short:

- If I were to assume I'm going double in math and prioritize graduation requirements, I'd take graph theory + numerical analysis.
- If I stick to a pure physics major, and prioritize graduation requirements, I'd take ? and statistical mechanics.
- If I were to go for the more useful classes for employability first, I *think* continuum mechanics AND numerical analysis is the way to go.

Which combination would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably take Statistical Mechanics. Concepts from Stat Mech show up almost everywhere in physics, such as entropy.

:/ It's a tough choice. Any other thoughts on this?

If I were you I would take continuum mechanics. It's far more useful to a physicist, then graph theory could ever be. Of course, I'm a bit biased, I already took graph theory and I didn't like it, so I would prefer anything above it :biggrin:

As for the second choice, I really don't know. Both classes are quite interesting and could be very useful to you. It's a tough choice...

I would advise you to consider the long-term benefits and your personal interests when making this decision. While it may be tempting to prioritize graduation requirements and immediate employability, it is important to keep in mind that your education is a foundation for your future career and should not be solely based on short-term goals.

Firstly, consider your long-term goals and interests. Are you more interested in pursuing a career in physics or mathematics? If you are planning to go to graduate school for physics, it may be more beneficial to focus on classes that will directly contribute to your understanding and skills in that field. However, if you are equally interested in both subjects, a double major in physics and math can provide a well-rounded education and open up more opportunities for you in the future.

Additionally, consider the value of each class in terms of its applicability to your future career. While graph theory may not seem immediately relevant to your current interests, it has many applications in various fields and can be a valuable skill to have. Similarly, continuum mechanics may not contribute to your graduation requirements, but it can provide a strong foundation for future studies in mechanics and engineering.

Ultimately, it is important to find a balance between your interests and future goals. If you are passionate about a certain subject, it may be worth taking the extra class even if it does not directly contribute to your graduation requirements. At the same time, make sure to prioritize classes that will help you achieve your long-term goals and provide you with valuable skills for your future career.

1. What is a double major in physics and math?

A double major in physics and math means that a student is pursuing two undergraduate degrees at the same time, one in physics and one in math. This allows the student to gain knowledge and skills in both subjects and potentially open up more career opportunities.

2. Is it common to double major in physics and math?

Double majoring in physics and math is not uncommon, but it does require a lot of dedication and hard work. It is more common for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in both subjects, and who are willing to put in the extra effort to complete both degrees.

3. What are the benefits of double majoring in physics and math?

Double majoring in physics and math can provide a strong foundation for a career in fields such as engineering, research, or data analysis. It also allows for a broader understanding of mathematical and scientific principles and can make a candidate more competitive in the job market.

4. How long does it take to complete a double major in physics and math?

The time it takes to complete a double major in physics and math can vary depending on the individual's course load and academic progress. It typically takes around 4-5 years, but can take longer if the student needs to take extra courses to fulfill both major requirements.

5. Can I still pursue a double major in physics and math if I didn't major in either subject in high school?

Yes, it is still possible to double major in physics and math even if you did not major in either subject in high school. However, it may require taking additional courses to catch up on prerequisite knowledge. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan for completing the double major requirements.