Solar Reactor using water tubes & dish collector.

In summary, the conversation discusses a design for a solar water heater using a parabolic collector and water tubes. The concern is whether the fixed position of the dish will provide enough focal point to heat the water tubes and if the excess tubing will diffuse the heat energy. The design also includes using the water tubes for a steam drum boiler and a turbine. There is also mention of using a conventional solar water heater for comparison.
BillThompson
Hi,
The dish is roof mounted and fixed.
I want to heat water tubes coming from the base up to the focal point and I'm needing to know if this is sound or a tube coming from the base will never get enough focal point to heat it because it's fixed and not on a heliostat.

Or, does the water tube get enough solar radiation when not at focal point to heat it to boiling?
I'm using a tube bundle, a replacement part in heat exchangers. They come 24" to 120" long.
They have many tubes with each tube rated at 150PSI and 375F.
My plan is to use the water tube boiler design and run the water tubes through the solar dish receiver but up from the base, not suspending it.
This type of tube bundle has two sets of twin tubes that are U shaped and just basically go in and out. I planned to use one set of tubes for the water feed drum to the tube bundle and then to the steam drum boiler. The second set of tubes are feed from the steam boilers and run back through the tube bundle and I planned to use them as a superheater and then feed to a turbine. Then from the turbine to condenser back to feed drum.

My thoughts about problems.
The tubes are rated at 375F and the tubes may melt or fail from the high temperature heat at focal point.
The excess tubing may just defuse the heat energy.

The design is basically the solar hot water heater using a parabolic collector rather than a panel of tubes collecting solar radiance.

Any comments positive or negative are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you said, the dish would be no use without a heliostat. You could work out from geometry what range of sun positions would have the light reflected onto the tubes. Then you might get enough high temperature for few minutes a day. It sounds like your purpose is to generate power so you need high temperature in a small volume of water, rather than a lot of water at medium temperature?I have a conventional solar water heater that can go up to about 80degC in the summer. But only with some leftover hot water from the day before.

I wouldn't worry about the tubes overheating as long as they're always filled with liquid water. That'll keep their temperature to not much more than boiling point.

1. How does a solar reactor using water tubes & dish collector work?

The solar reactor using water tubes & dish collector works by using a parabolic dish to concentrate sunlight onto a central receiver, which contains water tubes. The concentrated solar energy heats up the water in the tubes, which then produces steam to power a turbine and generate electricity.

2. What are the benefits of using a solar reactor with water tubes & dish collector?

One of the main benefits of using this type of solar reactor is that it can generate electricity even when the sun is not shining, as the water in the tubes can store heat for later use. Additionally, the use of water as a heat transfer medium is more efficient and cost-effective than other options.

3. How much electricity can a solar reactor with water tubes & dish collector produce?

The amount of electricity produced by a solar reactor with water tubes & dish collector depends on several factors, including the size of the parabolic dish, the efficiency of the system, and the amount of sunlight available. Generally, a large-scale system can generate enough electricity to power a small town.

4. Is a solar reactor using water tubes & dish collector environmentally friendly?

Yes, this type of solar reactor is considered environmentally friendly as it uses renewable energy sources (sunlight and water) to generate electricity. It produces no greenhouse gas emissions or air pollutants, making it a clean and sustainable energy option.

5. Can a solar reactor with water tubes & dish collector be used in all climates?

While this type of solar reactor can be used in most climates, it is most effective in areas with high levels of sunlight. In areas with colder climates, the system may need additional insulation and anti-freeze protection to prevent damage from freezing temperatures.