Friction, contact area and a clamp design

In summary, the individual's thoughts are that while friction may be independent of contact area, the resulting force is proportional to the contact area. They are unsure about the effectiveness of a curved jaw design for clamping a cylinder and question the differences in friction factors and stability between using a v jaw with four points of contact versus a curved jaw. They welcome any additional thoughts on the matter.
cabellos6
I know theoretically that friction is independant of contact area. However, i have a cylinder which i want to clamp via two jaws. My thinking is that a v jaw, clamping at four points around the circumference of the cylinder would be more effective than a curved jaw design??

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My thoughts.

Yes, friction may be independent of contact area, but the resulting force IS proportional to the contact area (pressure x area).

I am not sure what you mean by "curved" jaw design...I mean, is it rigid? is the radius of the curved jaw the same radius of the cylinder? ...what are the chances of that! If not, then what is the resulting contact between cylinder and jaw?

Do both clamps offer the exact same material in contact with the cylinder? If not, then, you are talking about 2 different friction factors, too.

Having 4 points of contact, even if the resulting force was the same, offers the advantage of more stability and keeping the cylinder oriented better so that it does not rotate in any other direction not just on its own axis. Don't you think?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two objects when they come in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and can be affected by factors such as the weight of the objects, the type of surfaces, and the presence of lubricants.

2. How does the contact area affect friction?

The larger the contact area between two objects, the greater the friction force. This is because a larger contact area means there are more points of contact between the surfaces, resulting in a higher amount of friction force.

3. How does a clamp design affect friction?

A clamp design can affect friction in several ways. One important factor is the material of the clamp. A smooth and slippery material will reduce friction, while a rough and sticky material will increase friction. The tightness of the clamp also plays a role, as a tighter clamp will increase the contact area and therefore increase friction.

4. How can friction be reduced in a clamp design?

Friction in a clamp design can be reduced by using a lubricant between the surfaces in contact. This will reduce the roughness of the surfaces and create a slippery layer, reducing the friction force. Additionally, using materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon, can also help to reduce friction.

5. How does friction affect the performance of a clamp?

Friction can affect the performance of a clamp in several ways. Too much friction can make it difficult to tighten or loosen the clamp, leading to issues with functionality. Friction can also cause wear and tear on the surfaces of the clamp, leading to reduced durability over time. Therefore, it is important to consider friction when designing a clamp for optimal performance.