Winding 1st toroidal transformer for my DIY Geiger counter

In summary, the transformer is a good choice for the Geiger counter because it can handle high voltages and can be opened up to change the ferrite core.
UrbanTurban
First post! :)

I am building a Geiger counter with this circuit:
http://www.pocketmagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/geiger-simple-1b.jpg

in the blog the author used a regular EI transformer from a power supply, but I tried disassembling them and broke the ferrite core 4 time now, so I am planning on making a toroid transformer from an inductor.

I have done a lot of research and lot of people are telling me that a toroidal transformer CAN be used instead of an EI one in an inverter circuit such as the one in the Geiger counter.

So my question is : Should I use insulation between layers like in EI transformers or should I just wrap the layers on each other?

Also, does it matter if the secondary was wound first rather that the primary/feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
Save yourself the trouble and buy a CCFL inverter transformer for a couple of bucks that comes with a driven Q1 (and the first 'C' too).

Winding a transformer for that application is a bit bonkers and if it is the Geiger counter you want then you really just don't want to get into transformer winding!

In direct answer, yes, you can wind with anything that forms a magnetic circuit. Each coil is at a different voltage to the next coil (as per the volts/turn value (= rate of change of flux)). So, yes, if those differences are 100's of V then you'd want to insulate them.

To open up a ferrite transformer, use a heat gun and warm it up, then the bonding glue falls apart. You could try boiling water if you don't have a heat gun.

But heed my advice; if your interest is in Geiger tubes, forget winding your own transformers unless you are seriously interested in those too!

If you get a CCFL you will find it is rated to, say, 800 VAC for a 12V input. You'll want around 300 to 400 V for your tube. Try lower input voltages, they usually run fine right down to the switch-on voltage of the oscillating transistor.

For recitification, you'll need a high voltage, trr<150ns diode on one of the outputs.

Thanks so much for your advice
what about this transformer:
http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/750%252d00060-12V-Power-Inverter-for-CCFL.html [Broken]

It seems to be perfect for the job, 660V with 12v ac (i need 400v, so around 9v is good)
I would have never thought it would be as easy as simply buying one.

One more question, would this work with the zener diodes on the linked diagram to limit voltage to around 400v and how does it work?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How many windings should I use for my DIY Geiger counter?

The number of windings needed for a DIY Geiger counter will depend on the specific design and components used. It is recommended to refer to the instructions or schematics provided with the counter kit for guidance on the appropriate number of windings.

2. What type of wire should I use for winding the transformer?

Copper wire is typically the best choice for winding a transformer as it has good electrical conductivity and can handle high temperatures. The gauge of the wire will depend on the desired current and voltage output of the transformer.

3. Can I use a toroidal core from a different device for my transformer?

It is not recommended to use a toroidal core from a different device for your DIY Geiger counter transformer. Each core is designed for a specific purpose and using the wrong core could result in incorrect readings or damage to the counter.

4. How do I know if my transformer is working correctly?

You can test the functionality of your transformer by using a multimeter to measure the voltage and current output. It is also recommended to perform a calibration test with a known radiation source to ensure accurate readings.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when winding the transformer?

When working with electricity, it is important to take proper safety precautions. Make sure to wear insulated gloves and eye protection, and work on a non-conductive surface. It is also important to follow the instructions carefully and double check all connections before testing the transformer.