Thinking about switching from M.E. to Ch.E.

• Thread starter 8point1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary: If you can do that, then the material is pretty easy. If you can't, it becomes a lot harder. But, I've never had a professor that was too difficult, or a class that was too easy. If you do well in ChemE, you're pretty well-prepared to do well in any other engineering/scientific program.
8point1
I've been working on my 2 year transfer degree at the local community college in order to head to a 4 year for mechanical engineering. After a few chem classes (which are req'd for ME anyway), I find it really fascinating and kind of fun.

I've started toying with the idea of switching to a pre-chem transfer degree, which would basically be the same except I'd take more chem classes instead of more math above Calc 4. ME has been my goal ever since I decided to go back to school, but chem engineering just sounds more interesting.

I would just go ahead and switch, but everyone I talk to, including professors, say chemical engineering is the "hardest major ever". It looks like a lot of sources online agree, too. Is it really that hard? I mean ME isn't exactly a cake-walk. I also notice that ChE get paid a bit more than ME's. Thoughts?

PS. I don't have to decide until next year, I'm just bouncing around ideas. And FWIW, I'm not the smartest guy ever, but I work hard enough to maintain a healthy GPA.

Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
8point1 said:
I've been working on my 2 year transfer degree at the local community college in order to head to a 4 year for mechanical engineering. After a few chem classes (which are req'd for ME anyway), I find it really fascinating and kind of fun.

I've started toying with the idea of switching to a pre-chem transfer degree, which would basically be the same except I'd take more chem classes instead of more math above Calc 4. ME has been my goal ever since I decided to go back to school, but chem engineering just sounds more interesting.

I would just go ahead and switch, but everyone I talk to, including professors, say chemical engineering is the "hardest major ever". It looks like a lot of sources online agree, too. Is it really that hard? I mean ME isn't exactly a cake-walk. I also notice that ChE get paid a bit more than ME's. Thoughts?

PS. I don't have to decide until next year, I'm just bouncing around ideas. And FWIW, I'm not the smartest guy ever, but I work hard enough to maintain a healthy GPA.

Thanks for any advice!

No engineering degree is easy. But being at a school that is heavily devoted to engineering and the sciences, most kids on campus would place ChemE in the top 3 hardest degrees.

Granted being a ChemE myself, you can get through it. There are weed-out classes just like every other major that you just need to get through. If you have a strong work ethic it will make the classes much easier (albeit not much).

What type of advice are you seeking?

Thanks for your response! I guess I am looking for experience or thoughts rather than advice.

What actually makes it so difficult (aside from just being a challenging major)? Memorizing? Work load? Comcepts? A combination of things?

I have a strong work ethic, but I've heard nightmare stories about bright students bailing out of their Chem E degrees. I dom't think I could drop any major, but if I'm setting myself up to fail, I won't take that route.

8point1 said:
Thanks for your response! I guess I am looking for experience or thoughts rather than advice.

What actually makes it so difficult (aside from just being a challenging major)? Memorizing? Work load? Comcepts? A combination of things?

I have a strong work ethic, but I've heard nightmare stories about bright students bailing out of their Chem E degrees. I dom't think I could drop any major, but if I'm setting myself up to fail, I won't take that route.

Well, I'm a Junior ChemE. I've survived most of my school's flunk out classes. The hardest class for me (so far) was ChemE thermo (pre-req of Intro Thermo, so a 2nd semester of thermo). It probably was more of the structure of the class that made the class impossible, rather than the material itself. All the classes I've had are based on fundamental concepts. For example, in Mass and Energy balances you solve for mass/flow rates in piping problems. You take that knowledge into fluid mechanics and given a certain type of pump find pressure drops and flow rates anywhere in that piping problem. In thermo and as I'm finding out now in Mass/Heat transfer (and likely later on in Kinetics), there is more to a chemical process (reaction) than just finding flowrates. In the real world you need to know how long a process is going to take, how much heat needs to be added/removed, the size of the reaction vessel required, etc. You learn theory behind this stuff too, but I'm trying to give you an overall feel for the curriculum (which is harder than one would think).

You're going to get Mass Energy Balances, Fluid Mechanics, Thermo, Mass/Heat Transfer, Transport, Kinetics and Unit Ops. In my case we have a Unit Ops lab taken over the summer for six weeks...that'll be this summer for me

There are a couple ChemEs that I've run across. I know Highway has graduated and would probably be able to offer you more insight about careers. Along with other people on PF, they probably would be able to correct any of my mistakes in the statements above.

You may be wondering "Is Chemical Engineering" Chemistry-oriented? To answer that the best. Many people (on the most basic level) say that ChemEs take what Chemists discover and find a way to make 500 gallons of it. Or in the petroleum sector, take a gallon of crude and make as efficient use of it as possible.

Hope this helps some. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. I'll try and answer them...

I understand your curiosity and interest in exploring different fields of study. It is natural to question and consider different paths, especially when we discover new interests and passions. Switching from mechanical engineering to chemical engineering is a big decision, and I commend you for taking the time to weigh your options and gather information.

Firstly, it is important to note that both mechanical engineering (ME) and chemical engineering (ChE) are challenging and demanding fields of study. They require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Both majors also involve a significant amount of coursework and hands-on experience in labs and projects.

That being said, it is true that chemical engineering is often perceived as one of the most difficult majors. This is due to the complex nature of the subject matter, which combines principles from chemistry, physics, and engineering. However, it is also a highly rewarding and versatile field, with applications in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials.

Switching from ME to ChE may require you to take additional chemistry courses, but this can also give you a deeper understanding of the subject and potentially open up more career opportunities. It is important to consider your strengths and interests, as well as the job market and demand for both majors, before making a decision.

Additionally, the salary difference between ME and ChE may vary depending on the specific job and industry. While ChE may have a higher starting salary, ME may offer more opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries in the long run. It is important to research and consider these factors when making your decision.

Ultimately, the decision to switch majors should be based on what you are truly passionate about and what aligns with your career goals. It is also important to seek advice from academic advisors and professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the expectations and demands of each major.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and your academic journey. Remember to stay curious and continue exploring your interests, as that is what truly makes a great scientist.

1. What is the main difference between M.E. and Ch.E.?

The main difference between Mechanical Engineering (M.E.) and Chemical Engineering (Ch.E.) is the focus of their studies. M.E. deals with the design and operation of mechanical systems, while Ch.E. focuses on the production and transformation of materials on a large scale.

2. Can I switch from M.E. to Ch.E. without having to start over?

It is possible to switch from M.E. to Ch.E., but you may have to take some additional courses to catch up on the necessary fundamentals. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the specific requirements for your situation.

3. What career opportunities are available for Ch.E. graduates?

Ch.E. graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, chemical manufacturing, and energy production. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and management.

4. Is Ch.E. a more challenging field compared to M.E.?

Both M.E. and Ch.E. require a strong foundation in math and science, and both can be challenging in their own ways. Ch.E. may involve more complex chemical processes and require a deeper understanding of chemistry and thermodynamics.

5. Will I still be able to use my M.E. skills if I switch to Ch.E.?

Switching from M.E. to Ch.E. may require some adjustment, but many of the skills and concepts learned in M.E. can be applied in Ch.E. For example, understanding mechanics and materials can be beneficial in designing chemical processes and equipment. Additionally, having a diverse skillset can make you a more marketable and versatile engineer in the job market.