Statement of interest for math REU

In summary, the speaker is considering writing their statement of interest for a math REU application in the form of a proof with lemmas and a theorem. They are unsure if this approach is too informal and ask for the other person's honest opinion. The other person advises against it, stating that it may come across as not taking the application seriously. The speaker ultimately decides to stick with a formal statement of interest.
doubleaxel195
I have to write a statement of interest for a math reu application. I was going to just write a formal essay. Then I thought, maybe I can write this essay in the form of a proof with lemmas and a theorem which will say that I will be a good fit for your program. Do you think this is stupid? It's okay if you do. I've never written any kind of application before for math. I want your honest opinion. Do you think it is too informal? Do you think a lot of people do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not risk it myself. Maybe if you could pull it off and be witty and funny, it could work, but it all depends on whoever is assigned to read your letter and that's very subjective. I wouldn't try it.

Yeah. I was thinking that too. It will either look really good or reallllllllly bad if I can't pull it off. Hm... decisions, decisions. Thanks for your input.

I would never do this for graduate school by the way...

I want to say that an axiom is my unbounded love for math. but does that sound dumb? because my time on Earth is finite, so how can my love be unbounded? haha.

This sounds like a really bad idea. You don't want them to think you aren't taking this seriously.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will just go with my formal statement of interest.

What is a statement of interest for a math REU?

A statement of interest for a math REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a document that outlines your interest in participating in a research internship in the field of mathematics. It is typically required as part of the application process for these programs.

What should be included in a statement of interest for a math REU?

A statement of interest for a math REU should include your academic background and relevant coursework, any previous research experience, your motivation for wanting to participate in an REU, and your future goals and how this program will help you achieve them. It should also highlight your interest in the specific research areas of the program.

How long should a statement of interest for a math REU be?

The length of a statement of interest for a math REU can vary, but it is typically recommended to be no longer than one to two pages. It is important to be concise and only include relevant information.

What is the purpose of a statement of interest for a math REU?

The purpose of a statement of interest for a math REU is to give the program organizers an understanding of your academic background, research experience, and motivation for participating in the program. It also allows them to assess your fit for the program and the potential impact it could have on your academic and career goals.

How can I make my statement of interest for a math REU stand out?

To make your statement of interest for a math REU stand out, it is important to be specific and highlight your unique qualities and experiences. You should also make sure to thoroughly proofread and edit your statement, and have others review it as well. Additionally, addressing your interest in the specific research areas of the program and how they align with your goals can make your statement more compelling.