Did I Transform This Equation Correctly?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the equation y=-2sqrt(3x-12)-5 has undergone a vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x axis, horizontal translation of 4 units to the left, and vertical translation of 5 units down. The rewritten equation in the form af[k(x-p)]+q is also correct.
aisha
The equation of the image is y=-2sqrt(3x-12)-5
It said describe the series of transformations so i rewrote the eqn into the form af[k(x-p)]+q
I got -2sqrt(3(x-(-4))-5 is this correct?

Vertical stretch by a factor of 2 horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x axis, horizontal translation 4 units left and vertical translation 5 units down?

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
The equation of the image is y=-2sqrt(3x-12)-5
It said describe the series of transformations so i rewrote the eqn into the form af[k(x-p)]+q
I got -2sqrt(3(x-(-4))-5 is this correct?

Vertical stretch by a factor of 2 horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x axis, horizontal translation 4 units left and vertical translation 5 units down?

Very close, ... 3(x-4)... translation of 4 units to the RIGHT... but everything looks fine.

Yes, the equation is correct. Your description of the series of transformations is also correct. The original equation can be rewritten in the form af[k(x-p)]+q as y=-2sqrt[3(x-4)]-5, which shows a vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by a factor of 1/3, reflection in the x-axis, horizontal translation 4 units left, and vertical translation 5 units down.

1. What are the key components of an equation?

An equation is made up of variables, constants, and mathematical symbols such as +, -, x, and ÷. It also includes an equal sign (=) to show that both sides are equal.

2. How do I know if an equation is correct?

An equation is considered correct if both sides of the equal sign are equal. This can be checked by performing the same operations on both sides and seeing if they result in the same value.

3. What is the purpose of balancing an equation?

The purpose of balancing an equation is to ensure that the same amount of each element or variable is present on both sides of the equal sign. This maintains the equation's accuracy and allows for proper calculations.

4. Can an equation be correct even if it doesn't have an equal sign?

No, an equation must have an equal sign to show that both sides are equal. Without it, the statement is considered an expression rather than an equation.

5. Are there any rules for creating a correct equation?

Yes, there are rules for creating a correct equation such as maintaining the same order of operations, using proper notation and symbols, and following the laws of mathematics. These rules ensure that the equation is accurate and can be solved correctly.