How can the square root be eliminated in this algebraic manipulation problem?

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manipulation
True, I've rewrote it below.In summary, the goal of the conversation was to simplify the equation so that there is no square root function. After several attempts and clarifications, the final solution was obtained by rationalizing the denominator and rewriting the equation as s = xc^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2G}{rc^2}} \frac{1}{1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2}}, leaving it in terms of S. The last step of rewriting the denominator was incorrect, but the penultimate step was the correct solution.
Nano-Passion

Homework Statement

Simplify so that there is no square root function. Leave it in terms of S

S = xc^2 / (1 - 2Gy/rc^2)^1/2

[tex] s = \frac{xc^2}{(1-\frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^{1/2}}[/tex]

Attempt

I've tried too many things, it would be too cumbersome to copy all of it down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try squaring both sides and making the fraction simpler. Not sure which term you want as the subject though.

rock.freak667 said:
Try squaring both sides and making the fraction simpler. Not sure which term you want as the subject though.

I've done that, but ultimately we need it to be an explicit function of E, so you will still have to take the square root of the right side and it doesn't seem to be possible to simplify it.

Nano-Passion said:

Homework Statement

Simplify so that there is no square root function. Leave it in terms of S

S = xc^2 / (1 - 2Gy/rc^2)^1/2

[tex] s = \frac{xc^2}{(1-\frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^{1/2}}[/tex]

Attempt

I've tried too many things, it would be too cumbersome to copy all of it down.
You've been around here long enough to know the drill. You don't need to copy all of it down, but you do need to show some effort. I cut you some slack this time.

Nano-Passion said:
I've done that, but ultimately we need it to be an explicit function of E, so you will still have to take the square root of the right side and it doesn't seem to be possible to simplify it.
E? There's no E in this problem.

Mark44 said:
You've been around here long enough to know the drill. You don't need to copy all of it down, but you do need to show some effort. I cut you some slack this time.E? There's no E in this problem.

Sorry, mistype. I meant S.

Mark44 said:
You've been around here long enough to know the drill. You don't need to copy all of it down, but you do need to show some effort. I cut you some slack this time.E? There's no E in this problem.

Sorry about that.

What, exactly, do you mean by "no square root function"? You can, of course, immediately replace the square root by a 1/2 power, as you have done. Why is that not a correct answer? You can, of course, proceed to combine the fraction and simplify but you will still have 1/2 powers whatever you do.

HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, do you mean by "no square root function"? You can, of course, immediately replace the square root by a 1/2 power, as you have done. Why is that not a correct answer? You can, of course, proceed to combine the fraction and simplify but you will still have 1/2 powers whatever you do.

Thanks for your time.

The 1/2 power is the equivalent of the square root so that defeats the purpose.

Is the goal to get rid of the square root in the denominator?

Mark44 said:

Yes, but within the condition that equation is left as an explicit function of E.

Nano-Passion said:
Mark44 said:
Yes, but within the condition that equation is left as an explicit function of E.

Multiply the quotient on the right-hand side of the equation by a convenient form of 1; in this case, [tex]\frac{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}}{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

This technique is called rationalizing the denominator.

Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
There's that "E" again !

Perhaps ...
Are you supposed to be solving for y ?​

SOA Andrew said:
Multiply the quotient on the right-hand side of the equation by a convenient form of 1; in this case, [tex]\frac{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}}{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

This technique is called rationalizing the denominator.

[tex]s = \frac{xc^2}{(1-\frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^{1/2}} \frac{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}}{(1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2})^\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] s = xc^2 \frac{\sqrt{1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2}}} {1-\frac{2Gy}{rc^2}}[/tex]
[tex] s = xc^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2G}{rc^2}} (1 - \frac{rc^2}{2Gy})[/tex]
SammyS said:
There's that "E" again !

Perhaps ...
Are you supposed to be solving for y ?​
Whoops.

No, for S.

Last edited:
There is no longer a square root in the denominator, so you have succeeded in eliminating the square root in the denominator. However, I am afraid the last step is incorrect because

[tex]\frac{1}{1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2}} \neq 1 - \frac{rc^2}{2Gy}[/tex]

The penultimate step is the last correct step.

SOA Andrew said:
There is no longer a square root in the denominator, so you have succeeded in eliminating the square root in the denominator. However, I am afraid the last step is incorrect because

[tex]\frac{1}{1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2}} \neq 1 - \frac{rc^2}{2Gy}[/tex]

The penultimate step is the last correct step.

True, I've rewrote it below.

[tex] s = xc^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2G}{rc^2}} \frac{1}{1 - \frac{2Gy}{rc^2}}[/tex]

1. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of rearranging algebraic expressions to solve for unknown variables or simplify expressions.

2. What are some common techniques used in algebraic manipulation?

Some common techniques used in algebraic manipulation include the distributive property, combining like terms, and using the rules of exponents.

3. How can algebraic manipulation be applied in real life?

Algebraic manipulation can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to solve problems and make predictions. It can also be used in everyday situations such as budgeting and managing finances.

4. What are some challenges or misconceptions about algebraic manipulation?

Some challenges in algebraic manipulation include keeping track of multiple steps and ensuring the correct use of rules and properties. Common misconceptions include thinking that the equal sign means "solve" and not understanding the concept of inverse operations.

5. How can I improve my algebraic manipulation skills?

Practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can improve algebraic manipulation skills. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and to break down problems into smaller steps. Utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also aid in improving skills.