Balancing Chemical Equations: Considering States of Reactants and Products

• Thread starter campa
  • Start date
In summary, the equation provided is 2NH3(s) + 3Cl2(g) -> N2(g) + 6HCl(g) and it is most likely referring to the gas phase reaction since NH3 is typically used as a water solution in labs. The state of NH3 in the first equation is gas, despite the potential misprint. The addition of extra Cl2 would result in the formation of NH4Cl(s) and H2(g). Chemical calculators such as BATE and CASC can be used for pH calculations, titration curves, concentration conversions, and solution preparation in lab and educational settings.
campa
2NH3(s) + 3Cl2(g) -> N2(g) + 6HCl(g)

What should the state of NH3 be?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NH3(s) ? What temperature are you working at ?

Borek said:
At STP ammonia is a gas, although in lab practice it is most commonly used as a water solution.

Borek

Yeah, my thought was that he was talking about NH3(aq) (which is NH4OH), not the solid. Which of course produces (with Cl2(g)) NCl3 a moderate explosive. Hey haven't we all played with NI3 ... the stories I could tell ;)

Last edited:
the equation was given to us like 2NH3(s) + 3Cl2(g) -> N2(g) + 6HCl(g) I'm not sure about the temperature though. And it also said that with extra Cl2 you get the equation like Cl2(g)+NH3(g) -> NCl3(g) + HCl(g)
I suppose the state of NH3 in the first equation must be gas. The teacher must have misprinted it!

campa said:
the equation was given to us like 2NH3(s) + 3Cl2(g) -> N2(g) + 6HCl(g) I'm not sure about the temperature though. And it also said that with extra Cl2 you get the equation like Cl2(g)+NH3(g) -> NCl3(g) + HCl(g)
I suppose the state of NH3 in the first equation must be gas. The teacher must have misprinted it!

Close but one of the products from the gas phase reaction is NH4Cl(s).

but I thought that you get NH4Cl(s) when you use extra NH3

campa said:
but I thought that you get NH4Cl(s) when you use extra NH3

Another hint: H2(g).

1. Is there a way to check if an equation is correct?

Yes, there are several ways to check if an equation is correct. One way is to plug in values for the variables and see if the resulting answer is consistent with the given equation. Another way is to simplify both sides of the equation and see if they are equal to each other.

2. How do I know if my equation follows the correct mathematical rules?

To ensure that your equation follows the correct mathematical rules, you can refer to a math textbook or consult with a math expert. You can also use online resources or software that can check the validity of your equation.

3. I am getting different answers when I solve an equation in different ways. Which one is correct?

It is possible to get different answers when solving an equation in different ways. In order to determine which answer is correct, you can try plugging in the solutions to the original equation and see which one satisfies the equation. You can also double-check your work and make sure you are following the correct mathematical rules.

4. Can an equation be both correct and incorrect at the same time?

No, an equation cannot be both correct and incorrect at the same time. If an equation follows the correct mathematical rules and is consistent with the given information, then it is considered correct. If an equation does not follow these rules or is inconsistent, then it is incorrect.

5. How can I tell if an equation is incorrect?

If an equation does not follow the correct mathematical rules or is inconsistent with the given information, then it is considered incorrect. Some signs that an equation may be incorrect include having variable terms on both sides of the equation, having a division by zero, or having an illogical solution.