Have i got the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PERMITTIVITY AND PERMEABILITY Right?

In summary, the difference between permittivity and permeability is that permittivity is the measure of resistance to the creation of an electric field in a medium, while permeability is the measure of the medium's allowance for the creation of a magnetic field. This can be seen in the equations where both permittivity and permeability occur in the numerator, as they are related to the electric and magnetic field components. However, there was a historical confusion about the physical meaning of these components, which has been clarified with the use of relativity. The Helmholtz equation, which is derived from the Maxwell equations using the constitutive relations, shows the relation between the two quantities and their dependence on frequency.
BINNOY.S.P
Hi,
Just wanted to know the difference between permittivity and permeability.

As far as I researched, permittivity is resistance to the creation of electric field and permeability is like an allowance of a medium to the creation of a magnetic field. Is it right?

I get confused because in some of the equations, both pemittivity and permeability occur in the numerator . That boggles me.

2E = -ω2.μ.ε.E

it should be E bar above. But i don't know how to but a bar. The example is known as Helmhotz equation something.

BINNOY

Physics news on Phys.org
The trouble is caused by historical confusion about the physical meaning of the em. field componentents in matter. Nowadays, having relativity at hand, we know that [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] as well as [itex]\vec{D}[/itex] and [/itex]\vec{H}[/itex] belong together, while traditionally people thought one should associate [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [/itex]\vec{H}[/itex]. That's why you define the permitivity [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and permeability [itex]\mu[/itex] (for a homogeneous isotropic medium and working in Heaviside-Lorentz units, i.e., [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [/itex]\mu[/itex] are dimensionless constants and unity in a vacuum) for a medium at rest as
[tex]\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}, \quad \vec{H}=\frac{1}{\mu} \vec{B}.[/tex]
Now the homogeneous Maxwell equations read
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} + \frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0,[/tex]
and the inhomogeneous ones
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H} -\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{D}=\frac{1}{c} \vec{j}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho,[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{\rho}[/itex] are the free electric current and charge densities, i.e., the currents and charges added to the ones constituting the medium.

If you now insert the consititutive relations, you can derive the wave equations for [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [/itex]\vec{B}[/itex], and then you'll get the Helmholtz equation when using the Fourier ansatz
[tex]\vec{E}(t,\vec{x})=\tilde{\vec{E}}(\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)[/tex]
and analogous for all the other field quantities as well. Note that (neglecting spatial dispersion) the permitivity and permeablity are functions of [itex]\omega[/itex].

What is the difference between permittivity and permeability?

Permittivity and permeability are two physical properties that describe how materials respond to electric and magnetic fields, respectively. Permittivity measures the ability of a material to store electric charges, while permeability measures the ability of a material to support magnetic fields.

How are permittivity and permeability related?

Permittivity and permeability are both related to the way in which electric and magnetic fields interact with matter. They are also related to each other through Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

What units are used to measure permittivity and permeability?

Permittivity is typically measured in units of farads per meter (F/m), while permeability is measured in units of henries per meter (H/m). These units reflect the ability of a material to store electric charge and support magnetic fields, respectively.

What is the significance of permittivity and permeability in materials science?

Permittivity and permeability are important properties in materials science because they influence the behavior of materials in electric and magnetic fields. They can also affect other material properties, such as conductivity and refractive index.

How do permittivity and permeability differ in different materials?

Permittivity and permeability can vary widely between different materials. For example, materials such as air and vacuum have very low permittivity and permeability, while materials such as iron and ferrite have much higher values. This can have important implications for the design and function of electronic and magnetic devices.