Help can someone differentiate e^(nx)

In summary, we discussed how to differentiate enx where n is any integer. The proof involves using either the chain rule or the power rule, depending on how enx is written. The product rule can also be used, but it is not necessary and may require more time.
Bailey
can someone differentiate e^(nx) where n is any integer. i think is equal to n*e^(nx).

please show the proof, thanx.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the proof is very big, so i just give u an idea as to how to go abt proving:

[tex]d(e^{(nx)})/dx = ne^{nx}[/tex]

now increment y by a small value such that:

[tex] y + \Delta y = e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}[/tex]

Divide the whole term by y such that:

[tex] (\Delta y)/y = [[e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}]/(e^{(nx)})] - 1[/tex] {We are putting [tex]d(e^{nx})/dx = n*e^{nx}[/tex] on the right hand side of the eqtn.}

take the one on the other side to get:

[tex] \Delta y/ y = [e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}- e^{(nx)}]/[e^{(nx)}] [/tex]

now apply the limits [tex]\Delta y \longrightarrow 0[/tex] to bot sides and evaluate the limit to get your answer.

Sridhar

Last edited:
Or, assuming you don't actually need to go back to the original definition of the derivative: apply the chain rule.

To differentiate y= enx, let u= nx.

Then y= eu so dy/du= eu

(If you don't know that then you will need to go back to definitions- in particular exactly how you are defining ex.)

du/dx= n, of course, and

dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= eu(n)= n enx.

thanx guys. i think the product rule can also use to differentiate
e^(nx), since e^(nx)=e^(n)*e^(x). but that will require much more time.

Originally posted by Bailey
thanx guys. i think the product rule can also use to differentiate
e^(nx), since e^(nx)=e^(n)*e^(x). but that will require much more time.

this is not correct, the product rule does not apply here.

e^(nx)=e^(n)*e^(x).

Hmm . .. I don't think that is quite legal since e^n is a constant, the product rule only applies if you have two functions.
you could alternately take the log of both sides which may look something like:

lny(x)=lne^nx
differentiate with respect to x
y'/y=n
y'=ny
and since y= e^nx
y'=n*e^nx

Of course I used the chain rule now on the left hand side, now

The product rule applies fine for a constant term, since a constant is a perfectly good function. It does not apply the way he said though; his exponential relation is wrong.

[tex]
e^ne^x=e^{n+x}
[/tex]

Originally posted by futz
The product rule applies fine for a constant term, since a constant is a perfectly good function. It does not apply the way he said though; his exponential relation is wrong.

[tex]
e^ne^x=e^{n+x}
[/tex]
It's mightily unnecessary as one term will automatically go to zero, and yes I missed his algebraic mistake

sorry about that mistake, what i meant was that,the product rule can be use repeatly to differentiate e^(nx).

eg. differentiate e^(3x)

e^(2x) = e^(x)*e^(x)
[e^(2x)]'=e^(x)*[e^(x)]' + e^(x)*[e^(x)]' = e^(x)*e^(x) + e^(x)*e^(x)
[e^(2x)]'= 2e^(2x)

e^(3x) = e^(2x)*e^(x)
[e^(3x)]'=e^(x)*[e^(2x)]' + e^(2x)*[e^(x)]' "sub [e^(2x)]'= 2e^(2x)"
[e^(3x)]'=e^(x)*(2e^(2x)) + e^(2x)*e^(x)
[e^(3x)]'=2e^(3x) + e^(3x)
[e^(3x)]'=3e^(3x)

Okay, you recognize that enx is NOT enex so that the a single application of the product rule does not work.

Yes, you can use the product rule repeatedly (in a proof by induction) but why?

What's wrong with using the chain rule as I suggested?

Actually, this is a more interesting problem that I first thought- there are several different ways of doing it.

The "obvious" way (to me anyway) is to note that the derivative of ex is ex and use the chain rule:
denx/dx= ex(d(nx)/dx)= nenx.

But we can also write enx= (en)x and use the fact that dax/dx= (ln a) ax:
d((en)x)/dx= ln(en)(en)x= nenx.

Or do it the other way around: enx= (ex)n) and use the power rule (together with the chain rule and the derivative of ex):
d((en)x)/dx= n((ex)n-1)(ex)= n(ex)n= nenx

1. What is e^(nx) and how is it different from e^x?

e^(nx) is an exponential function where the base is e and the exponent is multiplied by a constant, n. This is different from e^x, where the exponent is simply x. The value of e^(nx) will change depending on the value of n, while e^x will always be the same regardless of the value of x.

2. How do you differentiate e^(nx)?

The derivative of e^(nx) can be found using the power rule and the chain rule. The derivative is n*e^(nx).

3. Can e^(nx) be simplified?

Yes, e^(nx) can be simplified using logarithms. For example, e^(2x) can be written as (e^x)^2. However, this may not always be necessary or helpful in solving a problem.

4. What are some real-world applications of e^(nx)?

Exponential functions, such as e^(nx), are commonly used to model growth or decay in various natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

5. How does changing the value of n affect the graph of e^(nx)?

Changing the value of n will affect the steepness of the graph of e^(nx). A larger value of n will result in a steeper graph, while a smaller value of n will result in a flatter graph. Additionally, if n is negative, the graph will be reflected over the x-axis.