Force between a square loop and a long wire

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnitude of the net force on a square loop of wire with side length a, located a distance d from an infinite wire carrying a current I_2. The loop and infinite wire are in the same plane, with two sides of the loop parallel and two perpendicular to the wire. To find the net force, the loop can be divided into four separate wires, with the total force equaling the force of the left parallel bar minus the force of the right parallel bar. The formula for calculating this force is F= (u0 * a * I1 * I2)/(2*pi)*(1/r1 - 1/r2), where r1 is the distance from the left parallel bar to the straight
StephenDoty
A square loop of wire with side length, a, carries a current I_1. The center of the loop is located a distance d from an infinite wire carrying a current I_2. The infinite wire and loop are in the same plane; two sides of the square loop are parallel to the wire and two are perpendicular as shown. What is the magnitude, F, of the net force on the loop? (See picture below)

Now I know that F= IL X B
and the force of two wires is F= (u0 * L * I1 * I2)/(2*pi*d)

but I am at a loss as to how to start this problem.
Please help.

Thanks.
Stephen

Attachments

• Square Loop Force.jpg
    Square Loop Force.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi StephenDoty,

StephenDoty said:
A square loop of wire with side length, a, carries a current I_1. The center of the loop is located a distance d from an infinite wire carrying a current I_2. The infinite wire and loop are in the same plane; two sides of the square loop are parallel to the wire and two are perpendicular as shown. What is the magnitude, F, of the net force on the loop? (See picture below)

Now I know that F= IL X B
and the force of two wires is F= (u0 * L * I1 * I2)/(2*pi*d)

Right, and remember the cross product is general, while the second formula is only used for parallel wires.

but I am at a loss as to how to start this problem.

Try thinking of the loop as four separate wires, and then the force you are looking for is the net force.

The total force equals the force of the left parallel bar of the loop - the force of the right parallel bar of the loop.

F= (u0 * a * I1 * I2)/(2*pi)*(1/.5d - 2/3d)?

I am having trouble figuring out the distance from the long wire to the parallel bar for both the left and right parallel bars of the loop. Please see the figure in the first post of this thread.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Stephen

Last edited:
StephenDoty said:
The total force equals the force of the left parallel bar of the loop - the force of the right parallel bar of the loop.

F= (u0 * a * I1 * I2)/(2*pi)*(1/.5d - 2/3d)?

I am having trouble figuring out the distance from the long wire to the parallel bar for both the left and right parallel bars of the loop. Please see the figure in the first post of this thread.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Stephen

It looks like you are thinking that (1/2) d = a, but I don't see where that is said.

Think about actual numbers: for example, if d was 30 cm and a was 10cm, what would the two distances be for the left and right sides? Remember that d is measured from the straight wire to the middle of the loop.

Once you have that, what are the two distances in general, in terms of d and a?

a is the length

and I used fractions of d for the distance between the long wire and the two parallel parts of the loop. And the distance has nothing to do with the length a.

I do not know how to find the distance using d. I really need an explanation of how you would use d to find the distance from the long wire to the parallel parts of the loop.

In the formula:F= (u0 * a * I1 * I2)/(2*pi)*(1/.5d - 2/3d)
a is the length. and this formula is the formula for the force between two parallel wires. I do not see how you thought that .5d=a. The (1/.5d - 2/3d) part of the formula was the (1/r) part of the formula for the force between two parallel wires where r is the distance from one parallel wire to the long wire.

StephenDoty said:
a is the length

and I used fractions of d for the distance between the long wire and the two parallel parts of the loop. And the distance has nothing to do with the length a.

I do not know how to find the distance using d. I really need an explanation of how you would use d to find the distance from the long wire to the parallel parts of the loop.

In the formula:F= (u0 * a * I1 * I2)/(2*pi)*(1/.5d - 2/3d)
a is the length. and this formula is the formula for the force between two parallel wires. I do not see how you thought that .5d=a.

I definitely was not thinking that 0.5 d = a; I was just trying to determine where you got the values in your denominators.

The (1/.5d - 2/3d) part of the formula was the (1/r) part of the formula for the force between two parallel wires where r is the distance from one parallel wire to the long wire.

Is this equation saying that one loop side is 0.5 d away, and the other is (3/2) d away? That does not look right to me.

Here is how you determine you two distances:

If you look at your diagram, if you start at the straight wire and move a distance d to the right, you get to the midpoint of the loop. How much farther to the right do you have to go to get to the rightmost side of the loop? Add those together to get the distance to the right side of the loop.

Then repeat the process. Starting at the straight wire and moving to the right a distance d gets you to the center of the loop; how much do you then have to move to the left to get to the left side of the loop? Subtract those values to get the total distance between the straight wire and the left sides.

Those two values (each of them should have d and a in them) will be the two r values for the denominator.

(I was looking back at your earlier post; you mentioned that [itex]a[/itex] is the length. That is true, the distance [itex]a[/itex] will be the wire length L in the formula, but since the loop is a square, the length [itex]a[/itex] will also be part of the r value in the formula.)

Last edited:
Is it d+.5a for the left
and d-.5a for the right?

StephenDoty said:
Is it d+.5a for the left
and d-.5a for the right?

I think you have the left and right switched (the on on the right is farther away), but those look like the correct distances to me.

1. What is the force between a square loop and a long wire?

The force between a square loop and a long wire is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between the two objects due to the interaction of their magnetic fields. This force is also known as the magnetic force.

2. How is the force between a square loop and a long wire calculated?

The force between a square loop and a long wire can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B, where F is the force, I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, and B is the magnetic field strength at the location of the loop.

3. What factors affect the force between a square loop and a long wire?

The force between a square loop and a long wire is affected by several factors, including the current in the wire, the length of the wire, the size of the loop, and the distance between the loop and the wire.

4. Is the force between a square loop and a long wire always attractive?

No, the force between a square loop and a long wire can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the direction of the current in the wire and the orientation of the loop relative to the wire. If the current and loop are in the same direction, the force will be attractive, but if they are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

5. How is the force between a square loop and a long wire useful in practical applications?

The force between a square loop and a long wire is useful in various practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with other objects.