Christmas Gift Ideas: Share & Get Ideas!

In summary, my girlfriend got a new model of a dog toy, I got a shovel for my wife, and my dad bought a bathroom scale as a gift for my mother.
Borek
Mentor
Share what you plan to buy, what you think could be a good idea, or what you want.

In fact I am looking for ideas as I don't have a gift for Marzena yet :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice, warm slippers :smile:.

Edit - my feet are cold right now, it was the first thing that came into my head haha

My sister wants a paper shreader, cos she thinks someone wants to steal her love letters and black mail her or summin like dat. Go figure.

One of http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/jewelry/7ae3/". :D

Actually they're surprisingly easy to make if you can't/won't buy from Thinkgeek. I've made two (for presents) this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hight end, netbooks are great.
DVD's are always great for the movie buff.
I know for my sisters taking them shopping is a great gift. Not buying them a gift card, but actually going with them. I think they figure my attendance is some sort of larger sacrifice :smile:.

Books are great especially if you manage to find a first addition or a signed copy of a favorite author. Or the rare "book I want but have not gotten yet."

So many things to choose from...

darthoctopus said:
One of http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/jewelry/7ae3/". :D
:rofl:The description is great. I rolled my eyes and almost didn't finish reading it. But then I did.

I got my girlfriend the newest model of http://www.christmaspresentideas2009.com" [Broken], also the newest model. I'm sure both of them will love it. :cool:

I bought Duke another Pup Treads rubber bone to give to his friend Max. While in the store, I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car. Both seemed pleased.

I hope I get a trip to Vegas this year! :rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car.
Yep. Nothing says you love your wife like buying her a snow shovel.

The Amazing Karnak will now guess what you're going to get for Christmas: a bangshangalang upside the head.

DaveC426913 said:

The Amazing Karnak will now guess what you're going to get for Christmas: a bangshangalang upside the head.
She drives to work very early, often before the roads are plowed, and she was very happy with the early (practical) gift. She asked "How did you think of this?" and thanked me for remembering that one day last winter she got high-centered on a snowbank at the end of our secondary road and had to dig out with a little military trenching shovel. One year, I bought her a nylon pot-scraper to put in her stocking (we still have it and use it nearly every day after 25 years or so). We are in our 50's, heading for 60, and we don't give a damn for birthday or Christmas gifts (never did), so we try to do little things that are practical and thoughtful. Just before deer-hunting season, I bought myself a new pair of insulated waterproof boots, and she bought me a nice pair of alpaca socks. Our gifts to each other often consist of preparing each others' favorite foods, and serving them in a nice relaxed atmosphere with music, nice wine, etc. We don't need "stuff".

To tell the truth, Duke wasn't all that thrilled with the Pup-Treads rubber bone that I bought for a gift to his buddy Max. It is the ONLY toy that we have bought for him that he has not destroyed with "the jaws of death", and he has wrecked a few of Max's toys while visiting for play-dates. Max is a shepherd/pit-bull mix, and he can keep squeaky toys for weeks months until he maybe loses them in the woods. Duke is a chocolate-lab/boxer mix with jaws of steel, and the only toy that lasts more than about 30 seconds or so is the Pup-Treads bone. When I hook him up on his run outside while I do a few chores, he chews on firewood for entertainment (and shreds it).

turbo-1 said:
While in the store, I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car.

DaveC426913 said:

I think my father topped that one the year he bought a bathroom scale as a gift for my mother.

She's said she wanted one! (Not necessarily as a gift, mind.) And, and, and, they were expensive, you know. (I think the detail that my mother was overweight helps this story a bit.)

Yeah, she cried. It was bad. I love childhood memories. :smile:

Last edited:
Borek said:
In fact I am looking for ideas as I don't have a gift for Marzena yet :uhh:

I suggest waiting for Marzena to reply to this thread. :wink:

I haven't done ANY of my xmas shopping yet. I'm still clueless as what to get my step mom. What do high school chemsitry teachers like for xmas?

Topher925 said:
I haven't done ANY of my xmas shopping yet. I'm still clueless as what to get my step mom. What do high school chemsitry teachers like for xmas?

Warm, fuzzy slippers.

Yes my toes are still cold.

lisab said:
Warm, fuzzy slippers.

Yes my toes are still cold.

Ehhhh... I dunno. That seems kinda weird. I was thinking of a book or something but I don't really know what her interests are.

nothing (I will not be buying any gifts).. I love my $$$ too much :D

Topher925 said:
Ehhhh... I dunno. That seems kinda weird. I was thinking of a book or something but I don't really know what her interests are.

For one, Marzena is a fantastic photographer. (I know that because of her entries in the photography contests.) So that's one of her interests, for certain, however I'd hazard that she already likely has all of the photography stuff and gizmos she needs and wants. Knowing interests doesn't always help. :smile:

Moonbear, I seem to recall Marzena saying in one photography post that her English abilities are fairly limited. She may not be able to read this thread, which is why Borek felt safe posting it in the first place. Just a guess. :wink:

Borek, does Marzena enjoy reading? I recall from some of your photo essays that you two enjoy biking trips when the weather is nice. If Marzena enjoys reading, maybe a digital reader to bring along on your bike trips would suit. They're lightweight and portable, so great for storing in a backpack. There are some available in Europe and the UK that aren't horribly expensive and that can make use of online libraries -- such as Google Books -- that has access to all sorts of inexpensive or free books. And are also compatible with pay-for sites too. Just a thought.

GeorginaS said:
For one, Marzena is a fantastic photographer. (I know that because of her entries in the photography contests.) So that's one of her interests, for certain, however I'd hazard that she already likely has all of the photography stuff and gizmos she needs and wants. Knowing interests doesn't always help. :smile:
When I need to get something for someone who already has everything they need for their hobbies, I ask myself what direction they might not have thought of to go in.

My father is one of those people who has everything he needs and, if he doesn't have it, it's because he doesn't need it. He's a watercolourist, so I bought him a Japanese calligraphy brush. It might not interest him at all, OTOH, it might just inspire him to expand in a direction he would never have thought of on his own.

If Marzena is into photography, maybe there's an aspect of it she would never think to explore. Strobe photog? Time lapse? Or something even farther out.

There is a problem with photographic equipment in our house - we are both into photography and we both use Canon cameras, so we share many pieces of the hardware. But I want something she may like as well... Could make a nice gift and she will have to carry it in the field :wink:

Could be she is reading one never knows.

Borek said:
There is a problem with photographic equipment in our house - we are both into photography and we both use Canon cameras, so we share many pieces of the hardware. But I want something she may like as well... Could make a nice gift and she will have to carry it in the field :wink:

Could be she is reading one never knows.
I'll bet she'd love to have a brand-new 100mm macro lens with IS. Maybe you could borrow it... ;-)

turbo-1 said:
While in the store, I picked up a lightweight plastic and aluminum shovel with a locking extending handle for my wife to keep in her car. Both seemed pleased.

DaveC426913 said:

GeorginaS said:
I think my father topped that one the year he bought a bathroom scale as a gift for my mother.

She's said she wanted one! (Not necessarily as a gift, mind.) And, and, and, they were expensive, you know. (I think the detail that my mother was overweight helps this story a bit.)

Yeah, she cried. It was bad. I love childhood memories. :smile:

You're missing an important part of men selecting gifts for women. If the gift is something the woman might actually appreciate (like a nail manicure kit), you can bet the reason the guy picked out such a nice gift is that he was accosted by a very attractive female at a shopping mall kiosk and that he spent so much time flirting with her while she demonstrated her wares that he would have been overcome by guilt if he purchased any less than four of whatever it was she was selling.

Now, to find four different women that would appreciate such a thing and have absolutely no chance of meeting each other and noticing the strange coincidence that they each received the exact same gift. Or maybe just three. My right thumbnail looks so nice that it's kind of depressing to look at my left thumbnail.

BobG said:
You're missing an important part of men selecting gifts for women. If the gift is something the woman might actually appreciate (like a nail manicure kit), you can bet the reason the guy picked out such a nice gift is that he was accosted by a very attractive female at a shopping mall kiosk and that he spent so much time flirting with her while she demonstrated her wares that he would have been overcome by guilt if he purchased any less than four of whatever it was she was selling.
I exercised will-power. The pretty girl at the Tractor-Supply store portable-shovel kiosk was very persuasive, but she set me free with only one shovel when she found out that I was poor, and couldn't afford extras. My shabby clothes did the trick.

Last edited:
Good music to cook by - just in time for the holidays.

turbo-1 said:
I'll bet she'd love to have a brand-new 100mm macro lens with IS

And you are right - you may remember her macro pictures taken before she bought EOS 1000D, right now she doesn't have a macro lens and craves for one (me too, although I still can use my old 300 USM with macro lens). Unfortunately, $1k is way too much at the moment.

Books, CDs, DVDs are all a backup plan, more or less I know what she likes, so I can buy something nice - but it won't be a bullseye hit.

Borek said:
Books, CDs, DVDs are all a backup plan, more or less I know what she likes, so I can buy something nice - but it won't be a bullseye hit.

I would hope you know. How long have you two been married?

Why won't it be a bullseye hit?

The local Tractor Supply is running a holiday special on Anti Monkey Butt gift packs. That's a thoughtful gift for a cyclist...
:tongue2:

turbo-1 said:
I exercised will-power.

You mean, won't-power.

lisab said:
You mean, won't-power.
Can I sign up to teach a certain golfer that one? With a stun-gun and some of my weaponized habanero chilies, I could be REAL motivational. :devil:

GeorginaS said:
How long have you two been married?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=353525

Why won't it be a bullseye hit?

How many books and movies can you get? Now and then it makes sense to get something different. That's how I feel about next book/movie...

OK, Borek. Time to get serious because Christmas is bearing down on us. Stuff a stocking with lots of little thoughtful gifts.

I LOVE the alpaca socks that my wife bought me. I can't wear wool because of the itchiness, but alpaca is heaven. Marzena would probably love a few pairs for cold-weather wear. They are very soft and warm.

Nice highly-absorbent towels that divers use in competition. They absorb a LOT of water for their weight and you can wring them out on the spot. Great gift for a cyclist. Get caught in a down-pour, dry off, wring out towel, and continue.

Packets of seeds for interesting flowers or for herbs that you use a lot, but never seem to plant.

Decent-sized monocular for bicycle-touring. I love my Orion 8x32 Eagle-Eye, and gave one to my father for his birthday years ago. When you can give a gift like that (including one of my bird-guides) that turns an 80+ year-old into a bird-watcher, that's a really nice present. The 8X32 gives very generous eye-relief and gathers enough light to be very useful in dusky conditions, but at far less than half the weight and bulk of comparable binoculars.

Do you have a GPS with a graphic display to consult as you roam the country-side? That might be a handy gift, and prices are coming down.

More later, after you comment.

My wife wants a winning lottery ticket. :rolleyes:

Borg said:
My wife wants a winning lottery ticket. :rolleyes:
Send money, and I will buy you one tomorrow.

turbo-1 said:
I LOVE the alpaca socks that my wife bought me.

Nice highly-absorbent towels that divers use in competition.

Sounds interesting, I will have to check whether/where/how these are available here. I think I have seen such towels in a Decathlon shop not far from here.

Packets of seeds for interesting flowers or for herbs that you use a lot, but never seem to plant.

That could be a good idea - but also a cheap one. It happens that guy that distributes my programs is also a wholesaler of prepacked seeds/substrate/pots (something like http://www.allegro.pl/item843082835_ziola_kuchenne_home_garden_6_ziol_doniczka.html) and Marzena knows it :smile:

Decent-sized monocular for bicycle-touring.

That would be one of these gifts for myself :wink:

Do you have a GPS with a graphic display to consult as you roam the country-side?

We have one (Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx), mounted on my bike. She rarely rides alone in new places.

Moonbear said:
I suggest waiting for Marzena to reply to this thread. :wink:

I am here, I want a tiny tiny macro lens :wink:

<h2>1. What are some unique Christmas gift ideas?</h2><p>Some unique Christmas gift ideas include personalized items, homemade gifts, experience gifts, and eco-friendly gifts.</p><h2>2. How can I come up with gift ideas for someone who has everything?</h2><p>Think about their hobbies, interests, and experiences they've mentioned. You can also consider giving them a gift card to their favorite store or restaurant, or donating to a charity in their name.</p><h2>3. What are some affordable Christmas gift ideas?</h2><p>Some affordable Christmas gift ideas include homemade gifts, DIY kits, books, and small trinkets or accessories.</p><h2>4. How can I find gift ideas for someone I don't know very well?</h2><p>You can ask their friends or family members for suggestions, check out their social media profiles for interests and hobbies, or consider a gift card to a popular store or restaurant.</p><h2>5. Are there any gift ideas that are suitable for all ages?</h2><p>Some gift ideas that are suitable for all ages include books, board games, and experiences such as movie tickets or a day at a theme park. You can also consider practical gifts like a nice scarf or a kitchen gadget.</p>

1. What are some unique Christmas gift ideas?

Some unique Christmas gift ideas include personalized items, homemade gifts, experience gifts, and eco-friendly gifts.

2. How can I come up with gift ideas for someone who has everything?

Think about their hobbies, interests, and experiences they've mentioned. You can also consider giving them a gift card to their favorite store or restaurant, or donating to a charity in their name.

3. What are some affordable Christmas gift ideas?

Some affordable Christmas gift ideas include homemade gifts, DIY kits, books, and small trinkets or accessories.

4. How can I find gift ideas for someone I don't know very well?

You can ask their friends or family members for suggestions, check out their social media profiles for interests and hobbies, or consider a gift card to a popular store or restaurant.

5. Are there any gift ideas that are suitable for all ages?

Some gift ideas that are suitable for all ages include books, board games, and experiences such as movie tickets or a day at a theme park. You can also consider practical gifts like a nice scarf or a kitchen gadget.