Ring in the New Year at PF's Party!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Hope the rest of you have a great time!I'm afraid there may be no New Year's Evo this year, I know everyone Sunday was looking forward to New Year's Evo, but I don't think I'll be joining. ...Hope the rest of you have a great time!
dlgoff said:
Outstanding. :approve: I think the full moon will keep you awake till midnight.

I'm trying to remember what time I logged in last year. There were people already there. Probably those who had already seen the midnight hour and still celebrating. I do remember it being a fun time.

I was snowed in for four days after Christmas so I'm kind of use to it now.
Evo child's boyfriend dug my car out tonight. They went everywhere looking for a snow shovel, but everyone was sold out, so the poor guy bought a garden shovel and dug me out with that tiny thing, I was wondering why it was taking him so long.

That guy is a keeper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Evo child's boyfriend dug my car out tonight. They went everywhere looking for a snow shovel, but everyone was sold out, so the poor guy bought a garden shovel and dug me out with that tiny thing, I was wondering why it was taking him so long.

That guy is a keeper.
He doesn't own a snow shovel and he is a keeper? Wow.

turbo-1 said:
He doesn't own a snow shovel and he is a keeper? Wow.
He lives in an apartment that clears the snow, so why would he need a snow shovel?

My problem is that it snowed for 4 days and I didn't move my car for that entire time and my car is a sports car that is VERY low to the ground.

Evo said:
He lives in an apartment that clears the snow, so why would he need a snow shovel?

None of you own a snow shovel? And, digging your car out of snow is exactly why everyone should have a snow shovel. I have a nice big one for the driveway, and a smaller one that fits in the trunk of my car for digging myself out of places like parking lots if I get plowed in. Even when I lived in dorms and apartments, I had a snow shovel, because the plows ALWAYS plow the cars into the lots.

Moonbear said:
None of you own a snow shovel? And, digging your car out of snow is exactly why everyone should have a snow shovel. I have a nice big one for the driveway, and a smaller one that fits in the trunk of my car for digging myself out of places like parking lots if I get plowed in. Even when I lived in dorms and apartments, I had a snow shovel, because the plows ALWAYS plow the cars into the lots.
In the Evo-world, nobody owns a decent set of jumper-cables or a nice universal lug-wrench, either. Here, you would be looked at as a doofus if you didn't have some of these basic tools in your vehicle. I stopped a couple of days ago and helped a lady dig her truck out of a ditch so she could get back to the firehouse (she usually drives the ambulance). She had 2 different shovels in her truck and I had another in my Subaru Forester. Lack of preparation=ignorance.

turbo-1 said:
In the Evo-world, nobody owns a decent set of jumper-cables or a nice universal lug-wrench, either. Here, you would be looked at as a doofus if you didn't have some of these basic tools in your vehicle. I stopped a couple of days ago and helped a lady dig her truck out of a ditch so she could get back to the firehouse (she usually drives the ambulance). She had 2 different shovels in her truck and I had another in my Subaru Forester. Lack of preparation=ignorance.
I have jumper cables in my trunk.

No, when you have a snow removal service at an apartment, you don't need a snow shovel, we don't get that much snow. This was a freak incident of 4 days of snow. As dl said, he was stuck for 4 days. If I had been moving my car in and out of my parking space, it would have been cleared, like everyone else's space was. I was the only one that never moved their car.

I also have a roadside assistance plan. Recently I had a flat tire and the guy was there in less than 15 minutes to replace the tire. What I'm not good at, I make sure I have someone on call 24 hours that can do it for me. A lug wrench does me no good if I can't use it. I'd be a doofus to think I could do it myself.

We need to get back to the party plans! Anyone bringing champagne? How late is the party going? Had I known PF was having a shindig, I wouldn't have spent a whole bunch of money on tickets to an event. Now, okay, event tickets in hand, if y'all are still around when I get home, I'll bring an extra bottle of bubbly and a bag of Doritos. Nothing is too good for the people here at PF. :biggrin:

GeorginaS said:
We need to get back to the party plans! Anyone bringing champagne? How late is the party going? Had I known PF was having a shindig, I wouldn't have spent a whole bunch of money on tickets to an event. Now, okay, event tickets in hand, if y'all are still around when I get home, I'll bring an extra bottle of bubbly and a bag of Doritos. Nothing is too good for the people here at PF. :biggrin:
Not the blue cheese doritos, I spent an entire night upchucking those. I walk a bit faster down the chip aisle now.

I think we're going to be open all New Year's eve through New Year's day, so pop in anytime! It would be lovely to have you in chat Georgina.

During the day on New Year's Day too? You really know how to throw a party, Greg! I'll bring streamers too.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll have chat open late afternoon.

Late afternoon which time zone?

My wife and I plan to go out tonight, but I may drop in at some point.

Shall I bring something for everyone to eat, or just bring myself? :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
My wife and I plan to go out tonight, but I may drop in at some point.

Shall I bring something for everyone to eat, or just bring myself? :biggrin:

Hmm, maybe the wood of the pecker is hard to digest :uhh:

Well, if I make it home I may catch you in the small hours; if not, hope everyone has a great new year.

I'll definitely be around tonight. I ALMOST had some plans, but then saw the weather forecast. Freezing rain and snow starting around 10 PM, with icing of roads predicted. No way I'm going anywhere with ice and drunk drivers in the forecast...bad combination. I feel bad for the EMS and ER workers tonight. Aside from the usual drinking related accidents, they're going to have to deal with the sober drivers crashing on icy roads too. It's supposed to last well into tomorrow morning, so even if I planned to stay at someone else's house for the night, it will still be a mess to get home even tomorrow.

So, I'll be watching for the round-the-world New Year's wishes online instead.

And Happy New Year to those already celebrating.

I just finished cleaning the driveway of a couple of inches of snow. We may have more tonight. We usually stay in New Year's Eve. Tonight we'll do Indian takeout - we got tired of turkey and ham.

Tomorrow we'll probably do some kind of chili, which should go well with black-eyed peas.

I got my black Eyed peas and collard greens for tomorrow!

Looks like we should have a fun crowd tonight! Glad you're coming over MB.

I'm making spinach and artichoke dip.

We're looking at snow for all weekend, and depending on the storm-track, it could turn into a classic nor'easter. It's already snowing steadily.

My wife made apple-muffins with walnuts, and a big batch of caramel-corn with peanuts for the neighbor's grand-children. I dropped in on Chat and drizzle was there for a bit. Too quiet now.

Yay, the snow is going to keep a lot of people in. I guess I'll double my artichoke dip.

I'm making shrimp, but haven't decided yet if I want to batter and deep fry them (I add lots of yummy spices to the batter), just boil them and serve with a cocktail sauce, or do up a scampi. I have the fixin's to do any of those.

Moonbear said:
I'm making shrimp, but haven't decided yet if I want to batter and deep fry them (I add lots of yummy spices to the batter), just boil them and serve with a cocktail sauce, or do up a scampi. I have the fixin's to do any of those.
Yes, yes and yes! I want traditional tartar sauce with the fried ones.

Astronuc said:
...Tonight we'll do Indian takeout - we got tired of turkey and ham.
Could you save a little for me to try. What are you having? I just recently tried an Indian restaurant. However I'm not tired of my Honey Roast ham.

Astronuc said:
Tonight we'll do Indian takeout - we got tired of turkey and ham.

Tonight, we had home-cooked South-Asian eat-in; just finished palak gosht (something like spinach chicken curry) and roti.

Sounds delicious George Jones! I've just been eating oilballs, appleflaps and cheese-stuffed peppers :smile: It's t -33 min and counting down :biggrin:

Monique said:
Sounds delicious George Jones! I've just been eating oilballs, appleflaps and cheese-stuffed peppers :smile: It's t -33 min and counting down :biggrin:
Come on in Monique!

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Could you save a little for me to try. What are you having? I just recently tried an Indian restaurant. However I'm not tired of my Honey Roast ham.

Beef with mushrooms cooked in ginger and garlic,
Lamb vindaloo,
Doi murghi (lightly curried chicken in homemade yogurt with fresh ground coriander and cilantro), and
Chicken saagwala (chicken cooked with spinach in cream sauce).

and raita (a yogurt and cucumber relish)

and black-eyed peas.

Monique said:

What are oilballs?

I'll be into the party soon. I'm having my dinner now. I opted for shrimp with a spicy tempura style batter, french fries, and a horseradish sauce that I've touched up with some chipotle pepper. Cracked open the bottle of sake I got for Christmas from the Japanese restaurant where my boyfriend and I eat (the restaurant gives them as gifts to their most loyal customers...he's there a lot with clients...and since he can go in and get good sake anytime, he gave the bottle to me to take home).

I'm still at work...waaaah :cry:...but I'll join in a few hours!

Have some oliebollen Lisa and appelflappen, we still have them at the party.
http://www.excelsior-beusichem.nl/files/upload/image/oliebollen%5B1%5D.gif [Broken]

http://www.pastoralekroes.nl/Meer_Persoonlijk/afbeeldingen/De_oliebol_voorbij/Appelbeignets.jpg [Broken]

Evo said:
Come on in Monique!

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php [Broken]

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm going to watch a movie!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
:biggrin:

Lesson 1, string theory: no points in space, only Planck lengths/areas/volumes. Lesson 2: a calabicle (as I call them) at every point in space. Is this inadequate language, or confused thinking, or what am I missing?

agnostikos said:
no points in space
agnostikos said:
every point in space
This is inadequate language.

<h2>1. What is the date and time of PF's New Year's party?</h2><p>The party will take place on December 31st starting at 9:00 PM and ending at 1:00 AM on January 1st.</p><h2>2. Is there a dress code for the party?</h2><p>Yes, the dress code is semi-formal. We encourage guests to dress up and celebrate in style!</p><h2>3. Will there be food and drinks provided at the party?</h2><p>Yes, there will be a variety of appetizers and drinks available for guests to enjoy throughout the night.</p><h2>4. Can I bring a plus one to the party?</h2><p>Yes, you are welcome to bring a plus one as long as they are also 21 years or older.</p><h2>5. How can I RSVP for the party?</h2><p>Please RSVP by December 20th by filling out the form on our event page or by contacting the host directly. Space is limited, so make sure to RSVP early!</p>

1. What is the date and time of PF's New Year's party?

The party will take place on December 31st starting at 9:00 PM and ending at 1:00 AM on January 1st.

2. Is there a dress code for the party?

Yes, the dress code is semi-formal. We encourage guests to dress up and celebrate in style!

3. Will there be food and drinks provided at the party?

Yes, there will be a variety of appetizers and drinks available for guests to enjoy throughout the night.

4. Can I bring a plus one to the party?

Yes, you are welcome to bring a plus one as long as they are also 21 years or older.

5. How can I RSVP for the party?

Please RSVP by December 20th by filling out the form on our event page or by contacting the host directly. Space is limited, so make sure to RSVP early!