Calculating a value that depends on itself.

• Thread starter tomyuey938
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: This makes sense physically, since if an object is infinitely small, it would take an infinite velocity to stretch it to any finite size.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a stretching object. The equation v(t) = A / (B L(t)) is used, where L(t) represents the length of the object at time t. The change in distance over a small time interval is given by dL=v(t) dt and the equation L= integral from 0 to t of v(t) dt is proposed. Different approaches to solving this equation are suggested, including using an iterative method and a self-consistent approach. The resulting expression for v(t) is found to be infinite as t approaches 0, indicating
tomyuey938
Hi,
I'm calculating the velocity of something that's stretching, and as it gets longer, the velocity decreases.
So to calculate the velocity at time (t):
v(t) = A / (B L(t))

A change in the distance over a small time dt will be given by:
dL=v(t) dt

So I guess the distance is:
L= integral from 0 to t of v(t) dt ?

How can I go about solving such an equation? Are itterative methods required? Can anyone give me some keywords to help my search on google? I don't really know where to start.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tomyuey938! :wink:
tomyuey938 said:
Hi,
I'm calculating the velocity of something that's stretching, and as it gets longer, the velocity decreases.
So to calculate the velocity at time (t):
v(t) = A / (B L(t))

A change in the distance over a small time dt will be given by:
dL=v(t) dt

i'm confused :confused:

do you mean dL/dt = A/BL ?

if so just move the terms around: L dL = A dt/B :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm trying to calculate the value of v(t) at a given value of (t). So I don't think your re-arrangement is relevant in this case, since I need v(t)=something.
But I don't know the value of L, since L is the integral of v(t) dt up to that time (t).

Does that make sense? Please do let me know if you'd like me to explain anything more, or if you think I'm mis-understanding something (which is quite possible!).

Thanks and with regards.

Hi tomyuey. tiny-tim's approach is indeed correct (although if you're curious the practice of solving an equation which is dependent on itself uses what's called a SELF-CONSISTENT approach). However, for this case [tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=v[/tex] so we can plug that into get

[tex]v=\frac{dL}{dt} = \frac{A}{B L} \rightarrow L dL = \frac{A}{B}dt[/tex]

Integrating one gets

[tex]\frac{L^2}{2}=\frac{At}{B}\rightarrow L=\sqrt{\frac{2At}{B}}[/tex]

Hi Starstrider,

Thanks for your reply.

So in order to get an expression for v(t), I simply differentiate both sides by t to give:

dL/dt = SQRT(2A/B) (1/2) t^(-1/2)

Thanks also for the "self-consistent" term. This will be helpful in the future.

Thank you both so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Edit: but this suggests as t->0 the speed becomes infinite. Is this really correct, or have I made a mistake?

Last edited:
L equals what you said not dL/dt

maverick_starstrider's approach is missing a constant of integration. It should be:

[tex]\frac{L^2}{2}=\frac{At}{B}+C \Rightarrow L = \sqrt{\frac{2At}{B} + 2C}[/tex]

Where 2C is the square of the length at t=0. Now, if the object has zero length at t=0 (as MS implicitly assumes), then since the velocity is inversely proportional to the length, one would indeed expect the velocity to be infinite at t=0.

1. How do you calculate a value that depends on itself?

Calculating a value that depends on itself is known as an iterative process. It involves repeatedly applying a specific formula or algorithm to a starting value in order to obtain a desired result.

2. What are some examples of values that depend on themselves?

Some common examples of values that depend on themselves include compound interest, population growth, and the Fibonacci sequence.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a value that depends on itself?

The purpose of calculating a value that depends on itself is to model real-world situations and understand how a certain quantity changes over time or with other variables.

4. How does one ensure accuracy when calculating a value that depends on itself?

In order to ensure accuracy, it is important to use a precise and well-defined formula or algorithm, and to carefully track and analyze the results of each iteration.

5. Can a value that depends on itself ever reach a final, exact answer?

In most cases, a value that depends on itself will approach a certain limit or value but may never reach an exact answer due to the infinite nature of the iteration process. However, in some cases, a final, exact answer can be obtained through the use of mathematical techniques such as convergence tests.