Do Black Holes Evaporate Despite Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation?

In summary: Why then then all the fuss about the information loss problem? Information loss is a theoretical problem that arises when a black hole consumes all the information in a particle or object that falls into it.
Lapidus
An outside observer never sees stuff heading towards a black hole crossing the event horizon. How then do black holes form? If I would have watched region in spacetime where today exists a black hole for the last two billion years, how did the black come into existence?

Is it true that bigger black holes do not evaporate, since the cosmic microwave radiation is hotter than them? Why then then all the fuss about the information loss problem?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because I never see it does not mean it never happens. I see the collapsing matter getting closer and closer to its Schwarzschild radius, redshifting itself into oblivion. Eventually there is mass m within a radius r=2m (almost), and for me there is no practical difference. Stars will orbit it like crazy, light will suffer an infinite amount of redshift trying to escape, and I myself had better not get too close!

An outside observer never sees stuff heading towards a black hole crossing the event horizon. How then do black holes form?

That's the view of a stationary distant observer...but a free falling observer does see stuff crossing the hypothetical event horizon in a "normal" everyday manner, no time delay for example, and the free falling observer also passes the event horizon without incident.

Last edited:
Lapidus said:
An outside observer never sees stuff heading towards a black hole crossing the event horizon. How then do black holes form? If I would have watched region in spacetime where today exists a black hole for the last two billion years, how did the black come into existence?

Is it true that bigger black holes do not evaporate, since the cosmic microwave radiation is hotter than them? Why then then all the fuss about the information loss problem?

thank you

Black holes are believed to radiate Hawking radiation.

The black hole came into existence because a star collapsed under its own gravity after the pressure from the nuclear reactions inside the star subsided.

Is it true that bigger black holes do not evaporate, since the cosmic microwave radiation is hotter than them?

yes. They will radiate in the future when the universe cools enough. Hawking radiation is not observable now.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the extreme density and mass of the object.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity. The star's outer layers are expelled, leaving behind a highly dense and compact object.

3. Can black holes merge?

Yes, black holes can merge if they are close enough to each other. When two black holes merge, they create an even larger and more powerful black hole.

4. How is the size of a black hole determined?

The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return where the gravitational pull becomes too strong for anything to escape. The larger the event horizon, the larger the black hole.

5. Do black holes have an impact on time and space?

Yes, black holes have a significant impact on time and space. Time slows down near a black hole due to the intense gravitational pull. Additionally, black holes can bend and distort space, causing objects to orbit around them in unusual ways.