Importance of learning Physics II in the long run?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of learning electromagnetism and its concepts, such as electric potential and flux, for future classes and as a physicist. The importance of developing a strong physical intuition is also emphasized. Overall, the conversation suggests that understanding these concepts is crucial for success in both practical and conceptual aspects of physics.
Nano-Passion
I'm currently taking Calculus-based Physics II, an introductory to electromagnetism. While I'm working hard to understand the material as deeply and intuitively as possible, I wonder how much of the material will be useful later on? I am seeing a bunch of concepts such as electric potential V, potential energy U, electric flux, capacitance etc. but how much of what I am being introduced to will help in my understanding of future classes such as electrodynamics or quantum mechanics? How useful is it to learn everything introduced as intuitively as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
I'm currently taking Calculus-based Physics II, an introductory to electromagnetism. While I'm working hard to understand the material as deeply and intuitively as possible, I wonder how much of the material will be useful later on? I am seeing a bunch of concepts such as electric potential V, potential energy U, electric flux, capacitance etc. but how much of what I am being introduced to will help in my understanding of future classes such as electrodynamics or quantum mechanics? How useful is it to learn everything introduced as intuitively as possible?

You should be trying to understand them as much as humanly possible. Is that a good enough response? Aka they're important.

Pengwuino said:
You should be trying to understand them as much as humanly possible. Is that a good enough response? Aka they're important.

So in other words, I will need pretty much most of these concepts for later classes?

I'm doing pretty much half the problems in the chapter, I was just hoping it would be to good use in later classes.

Nano-Passion said:
So in other words, I will need pretty much most of these concepts for later classes?

I'm doing pretty much half the problems in the chapter, I was just hoping it would be to good use in later classes.

Yes, a large portion of electrodynamics is finding potentials. It turns out that it is extremely difficult to find electric fields directly from Coulomb's Law for more than the most basic charge configurations. Potentials are much easier to work with. Electric flux is important along with capacitance as well, so learn the material.

Don't worry if you don't develop a fantastic intuition during this class. You will see this material again.

Pengwuino said:
Yes, a large portion of electrodynamics is finding potentials. It turns out that it is extremely difficult to find electric fields directly from Coulomb's Law for more than the most basic charge configurations. Potentials are much easier to work with. Electric flux is important along with capacitance as well, so learn the material.

Don't worry if you don't develop a fantastic intuition during this class. You will see this material again.

Hm, we just started a very small portion of capacitance; I would have thought that it would be useless for future classes and only helpful for engineering applications. Thanks for the insight. ^.^

There are different levels of understanding physics, and each one is important. Particularly to get also physics intuition is mandatory; particularly if you become a theorist. It is not very helpful to just do formally complicated calculations without any feeling for what's going on in the problem from a healthy physical intuition, because without it you can get easily lost in some complicated formalism with nonsensical or even plain wrong results, because either you have made physically unjustified assumptions or even made a mistake in your calculation. Then you need physical intuition to critically judge such results and perhaps be able to figure out mistakes!

Electromagnetism is very important not only from a practical point of view but also from a conceptional one since it's the most simple example of a relativistic field theory, and relativistic (quantum) field theory is the most fundamental model for a large part of nature (particles, matter, etc.).

vanhees71 said:
There are different levels of understanding physics, and each one is important. Particularly to get also physics intuition is mandatory; particularly if you become a theorist. It is not very helpful to just do formally complicated calculations without any feeling for what's going on in the problem from a healthy physical intuition, because without it you can get easily lost in some complicated formalism with nonsensical or even plain wrong results, because either you have made physically unjustified assumptions or even made a mistake in your calculation. Then you need physical intuition to critically judge such results and perhaps be able to figure out mistakes!

Electromagnetism is very important not only from a practical point of view but also from a conceptional one since it's the most simple example of a relativistic field theory, and relativistic (quantum) field theory is the most fundamental model for a large part of nature (particles, matter, etc.).

Thanks for the insight, any type of perspective is really appreciated. I've been getting more and more interested lately as I've been getting a feel of what it will be like being a physicist. I kind of imagine myself being a physicist as I try to solve a problem, so it motivates me to get as much of a conceptual understanding as possible; and actually.. its a lot of fun!

And yes, I'm planning on doing theory at the moment, only time can tell.

1. Why is learning Physics II important in the long run?

Learning Physics II is important in the long run because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and research. It also provides a deeper understanding of how the world works and allows for the application of scientific principles to everyday life.

2. What specific concepts are covered in Physics II?

In Physics II, students typically cover topics such as electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. These concepts build upon the foundational principles learned in Physics I, providing a more advanced understanding of the physical world.

3. How does learning Physics II benefit a career in STEM?

Studying Physics II can benefit a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) by providing a strong foundation in scientific principles and problem-solving skills. It can also open up opportunities for specialized fields, such as electrical engineering or astrophysics, and help individuals stay current with advancements in technology and research.

4. Can learning Physics II improve critical thinking skills?

Yes, learning Physics II can improve critical thinking skills by requiring students to analyze complex problems, apply mathematical and scientific principles, and develop creative solutions. This type of critical thinking is valuable not only in the field of physics but also in many other areas of life.

5. How does understanding Physics II impact our understanding of the world?

Understanding Physics II can have a profound impact on our understanding of the world by providing a deeper comprehension of natural phenomena and the laws that govern them. It can also help us make informed decisions about technology, energy, and environmental issues. Additionally, studying physics can lead to a greater appreciation for the beauty and complexity of the universe.