How can I fix my glitchy mouse pad while using my laptop on a metal table?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the customer's laptop was not working well due to a magnetic damping issue. The customer tried different surfaces, and when he moved the laptop to a different surface, the mouse worked properly.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday I was onsite doing computer work with a customer while sitting at a metal [stainless] table. Whenever the computer [my laptop] was on the table, my mouse pad was so glitchy that it was useless - the cursor didn't respond to most finger movements. We eliminated all potential sources of electrical noise but with no effect. If I lifted my computer off the table, the mouse operated properly. I tried sitting the computer on a piece of thick cardboard but even that didn't fix the problem.

I'm guessing this was somehow due to the damping of magnetic fields, but that is hard to believe.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know what laptop you use, but what *could* be the case is that the surface you place your laptop on causes a slight 'bump' in the case, which messes with your touchpad. On the other hand, I find this almost as hard to believe as a damping of magnetic fields, but it's easy enough to rule out: try holding and applying some pressure to the bottom of your laptop, and then see if it's glitchy again.

Other than that, I really have no idea. Have you tried different surfaces other than the table and the cardboard?

Hobin said:
I don't know what laptop you use, but what *could* be the case is that the surface you place your laptop on causes a slight 'bump' in the case, which messes with your touchpad. On the other hand, I find this almost as hard to believe as a damping of magnetic fields, but it's easy enough to rule out: try holding and applying some pressure to the bottom of your laptop, and then see if it's glitchy again.

Other than that, I really have no idea. Have you tried different surfaces other than the table and the cardboard?

Checking for torque on the body was a good thought, but nope. I can apply pressure to both side of the computer [including front to back] and still operate the mouse with no problem.

In my office I am normally working on a standard table surface and haven't had any problems. This was my first visit onsite [anywhere] with my new computer, so I may see more problems in the future. We did finally move the computer to another surface a few feet away and everything was fine again.

It is a Dell Precision... 4600... I think.

Sidebar: There was one job where my computer would fail every time I was onsite. As it turned out, the problem appeared to be altitude [I guess the ventilation was the real cultprit]. This was for a very small control room, about fifteen feet in diameter, located at least 25 feet [or more] underground... not sure now how far down it was any more. I had to climb down a vertical ladder from ground level. Someone back then mentioned that hard drives can be affected temporarily by pressure changes. So after that I went down and set up and then left for coffee. When I got back, my computer would boot properly again.

Last edited:
You know, I'm wondering if this is a problem I've seen before. Perhaps local power is inducing currents in the table top. It is a long surface sitting against a wall.

I was remindeed of a problem I had many years ago where we had overhead power lines causing no end of problems on a mobile CAT scanner. I finally checked and could measure something like 130 to 140 volts AC to ground, on the body of the bus. When we looked up, there they were - big lines feeding the hospital.

It could also be a short in your laptop and the table is Earthing it. Use a multimeter.

Have you checked it with Charger/AC power cord plugged into the socket ?

Sounds like some kind of loose connection to me. Mice are cheap. I've had the same kind of luck with keyboards and have gone through 3 in the last year or so. The last one got really weird on shift characters. New keyboard, problem solved [at least for now].

Happens to my laptop from time to time. I think its some sort of calibration issue. It always happens after I lift my laptop to carry from one room to the next or from one desk to the next. If I carry it with one hand, the touchpad will no longer operate correctly, even if I'm using one hand to hold it horizontally. I think that some sort of bending pressure I put on the hardware as I hold it with one hand messes up some sensors in or connected to the touchpad. This only happens when I carry the laptop when its on. And when this does occur, a simple reboot fixes the problem. It is a strange anomoly.

rishi.sharma said:
Have you checked it with Charger/AC power cord plugged into the socket ?

Yes this would also be something that I would check. Does the problem occur only when it is plugged in? If yes, then there micht be a problem with the earthing. The capacitative touchpad won't respond well in such a case. Best solution would be getting a mouse or avoiding use while charging.

1. What could be causing my mysterious mouse problem?

There are several possible causes for a mysterious mouse problem. It could be due to poor sanitation and food storage, holes or cracks in your home that allow mice to enter, or nearby sources of food and shelter that attract them. It is important to identify and address these potential causes in order to effectively solve the problem.

2. How can I get rid of mice in my home?

There are a few methods for getting rid of mice in your home. One option is to use traps, either baited or humane ones, to catch and remove the mice. Another option is to use rodenticides, but these should be used with caution as they can be harmful to pets and children. It is also important to seal off any entry points and maintain good sanitation to prevent future infestations.

3. How do I know if I have a mouse infestation?

There are a few signs that may indicate a mouse infestation in your home. These include droppings, gnaw marks, and small holes or burrows in walls or furniture. You may also hear scratching or scurrying noises in the walls or ceilings. If you suspect a mouse infestation, it is best to consult a professional for proper identification and treatment.

4. Can mice be harmful to my health?

While mice may seem harmless, they can actually pose health risks. They can carry and transmit diseases such as hantavirus, salmonellosis, and leptospirosis. They can also contaminate food and surfaces with their droppings and urine. It is important to address a mouse problem promptly to prevent potential health hazards.

5. How can I prevent mice from entering my home?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent mice from entering your home. These include sealing off any holes or cracks in your walls, floors, and foundation, keeping food stored in airtight containers, and regularly cleaning up crumbs and spills. It is also important to keep your yard and surrounding areas free of clutter and potential sources of food and shelter for mice.