Energy released from heavy atoms?

In summary, nuclear fission and fusion are two processes that release large amounts of energy. The reason for this is still unknown, but it is thought to involve the smashing of atoms together.
Hypo
Hallo!

Now I've noticed something about nuclear fission and fusion. They both are small atoms that release megawatts of energy that could destroy most of big cities. Now I wonder how is that possibile? Splitting an atom create MAJOR amounts of heat and energy combined what is the reason for that? The only thing that comes from my head is the force that is holding the protons and neutrons together is smashed with another atom.

Im talking about heavy atoms not the simple ones because in every single second atom collided with each other.

I'm confused on how a small small particle create a HUGE energy burst that puzzels me honestly.

I feel sometimes they don't follow the laws of thermodynamics nor conservation of energy but I don't know what the input energy is in the first place to compare lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypo said:
Hallo!

Now I've noticed something about nuclear fission and fusion. They both are small atoms that release megawatts of energy that could destroy most of big cities. Now I wonder how is that possibile? Splitting an atom create MAJOR amounts of heat and energy combined what is the reason for that? The only thing that comes from my head is the force that is holding the protons and neutrons together is smashed with another atom.

Im talking about heavy atoms not the simple ones because in every single second atom collided with each other.

I'm confused on how a small small particle create a HUGE energy burst that puzzels me honestly.

I feel sometimes they don't follow the laws of thermodynamics nor conservation of energy but I don't know what the input energy is in the first place to compare lol.
Have you read the topic binding energy per nucleon or something like this?...
if yes then think this in such a way..
You first pull all atoms apart by applying some force. then let them to combine and make a new nucleus.. in case of heavy nucleus you will find the a lot of energy is released..
law of conservation of energy is not valid in such cases(E=mc2)..

Hypo, There is a big difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion...the two processes you mention.

Fission is the splitting of a "large" nucleus into two "smaller" ones, plus the liberation of energy. Example: Atomic bomb over Hiroshima, Japan.

Fusion is the "fusing" of two hydrogen nuclei together to create one helium nucleus, plus the liberation of energy. Example: Our sun.

Both processes give off great quantities of "atomic energy", in contrast to "chemical energy" we get from, say, dynamite. To understand where this energy comes from you need to learn some nuclear phycics!

Google is your friend, please Google those terms and learn to use this valuable resource for your own education. Wikipedia usually gives good "starting point" explanations. Don't forget to check the "for further reading" and the "references" near the bottom of Wiki pages for more details.

Wikipedias articles on nuclear fission and fusion will explain this pretty well. And you can follow the other links around to learn more.

This is actually where Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation came from. For the longest time, physicists were puzzled because nuclear fission reactions seemed to slightly violate the law of conservation of mass. If this small amount of destroyed matter is converted to energy with the above equation, this ends up being equal to the energy generated by the fission process, leading to the modified conservation of mass-energy law (they are equivalent to one another according to (E^2) = (m^2) (c^4) + (p^2) (c^2).)

1. What is nuclear energy and how is it released from heavy atoms?

Nuclear energy is the energy released from the nucleus of an atom. In heavy atoms, such as uranium or plutonium, this energy is released through a process called nuclear fission, where the nucleus splits into smaller fragments, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

2. What is the source of energy in nuclear power plants?

The source of energy in nuclear power plants is the energy released from heavy atoms through nuclear fission. This energy is used to heat water and produce steam, which then drives turbines to generate electricity.

3. How do heavy atoms release energy in nuclear bombs?

In nuclear bombs, heavy atoms are split apart rapidly, releasing a huge amount of energy in a chain reaction. This energy is released in the form of heat and radiation, causing a powerful explosion.

4. Are there any risks associated with the energy released from heavy atoms?

Yes, there are risks associated with the energy released from heavy atoms. The radiation released during nuclear fission can be harmful to living organisms and the environment if not properly contained and controlled.

5. Can the energy released from heavy atoms be harnessed for other purposes besides electricity generation?

Yes, the energy released from heavy atoms can be used for other purposes besides electricity generation. It can be used in the production of nuclear medicine, such as cancer treatments, or for powering spacecraft and nuclear submarines.