Proving Limits of f(x) and f'(x) Using Differentiable Functions

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Both limits are infinite. Their sum is zero.In summary, the given function f(x) can be rewritten as h(x)/g(x) where h(x) eventually becomes less than g(x) for large x. This implies that f(x) is less than or equal to 1, which can only happen if either f(x)e^x is a decreasing function that converges to a number less than or equal to 1, or if f(x)e^x is a constant k where |k|=< 1. In both cases, the limit of f(x) converges to L and the limit of f'(x) converges to 0. Alternatively, L'Hopital's rule can also be used to prove
Artusartos
Let f be differentiable on some interval (c, infinity) and suppose that [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} [f(x) + f'(x)] = L [/tex], hwere L is finite. Prove that [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = L[/tex] and [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f'(x) = 0 [/tex]. Hint: [tex] f(x) = \frac{f(x)e^x}{e^x}[/tex]

My answer:

For [tex]f(x) = \frac{f(x)e^x}{e^x}[/tex], Let h(x)=f(x)e^x and let g(x)=e^x. So we have [tex]f(x) = \frac{h(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] Since we know that the sum of the limits of f(x) and f'(x) is finite, we know that each limit must also be finite. Therefore, h(x) eventually be less than g(x). So for large x, h(x) =< g(x) in order for h(x)/g(x) to converge. Since h(x)=f(x)e^x and g(x)=e^x, f(x) =< 1.

This can happen in two ways. Either h(x) is [itex]ke^x[/itex] where k is a constant such that |k|=< 1...

If this is the case, then the derivative of f(x) converges to zero, while f(x) itself converges to some number L.

...or f(x) (in f(x)e^x) is a decreasing function that converges to a number that is less than or equal to 1.

In this case, both f(x) and f'(x) converge to zero.

Do you think my answer is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:
Since we know that the sum of the limits of f(x) and f'(x) is finite, we know that each limit must also be finite.

It seems to me that this is exactly what you needed to show in the first place. Can you show this is true?

Or if you want an easier approach, that hint suggests to me that you might want to use L'Hopital.

The limit of a sum may be finite even if neither limit is finite.Take x and -x.

1. Can anyone check my proof?

Yes, anyone with knowledge in the relevant field can check a proof. However, it is recommended to seek help from someone who is experienced in the specific topic of the proof.

2. What qualifications should someone have to check a proof?

Ideally, the person checking the proof should have a strong background in the subject matter and be familiar with the specific techniques and methods used in the proof.

3. How long does it take to check a proof?

The time it takes to check a proof can vary depending on the complexity of the proof and the expertise of the individual checking it. It can range from a few minutes to several hours or even days.

4. What should I do if my proof is incorrect?

If your proof is incorrect, it is important to carefully review and revise it before submitting it for review again. You may also seek guidance from someone with expertise in the subject to help identify any errors.

5. Is it necessary to have a proof checked before publishing?

It is highly recommended to have a proof checked before publishing, especially in the field of science where accuracy is crucial. This can help ensure the validity of the proof and prevent any potential errors or mistakes from being published.