On solving for a variable in the magnitude of a complex number

In summary, the conversation involves a complex equation where the right hand side is an attempt to solve for d from the magnitude |z| of a complex number. The question is how to solve for d with multiple powers and square roots involved. The conversation also mentions the use of Hermitian matrices, but it is unclear how they relate to the problem. After further exploration, it is discovered that there is only one possible argument for a that will provide a solution for c, making the equation asymptotically equivalent.
Jeff Cook
All,

I've been beating my head up on this equation, so I thought I'd try here to see if someone could help me. In the equation

(sqrt{32}(2x-d))^-4 = (-d/2 - 1/2 )^2 + sqrt{(1+d)^2 + d/4}/4

Where the right hand side is my attempt to solve for d out of the magnitude |z| of a complex number. You can see by looking at the right hand side (if you look carefully) how the right side used to be expressed in the form

|z|=r=sqrt{x^2+y^2}, where z = x + yi,

the magnitude (modulus) of a complex number. I got kind of tangled up with this, but I've left it where I got stuck, as it looks like an algebraic solution is possible (a polynomial of sorts), but I see I am missing some information on how to proceed and I wanted to see if someone could help me where I left off. And no, this is not a homework question. In short, my question is, with so many power and sqrt's, how does one begin to solve for d, as the only other variable is x, which I already have a solution for. Is this a 3rd or 4th degree polynomial, or is it simpler? Or is it more complicated still?

Any help and pointing me in the right direction? I've tried many attempts, but feel there might be a simple method I am just over looking...or perhaps some aspect of the mathematics that I have not been involved with.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you'll get better advice if you state the original problem that you're trying to solve rather than starting midway in your attempt to solve it.

I know you're right. I Left this problem on my computer at work and wrote it from home. But let me try this, it won't amount to my solution, but maybe it will help me understand so I can get to the solution.

Let z be calculable from d such that z becomes an argument for a 2nd degree polynomial, and d is always negative so that z is always complex when taking its square root in the quadratic equation, the modulus of the quadratic solution is equal to some multiplicative constant of x-d, how does one solve for d in...say...(which is pretty close as memory serves to my original problem)

(x-d)^-2 = |(-(1-d) +/- sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4))/2|
= |z|
=(-(1-d)/2)^2 +/- (i sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4)/2)^2

such that

|z| = sqrt{a^2+b^2}

Such that

a = (-(1-d)/2
b = i sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4)/2)

Not sure if that helps. Both are two different equations involving the same symbolized constants and the same situation, but I'm probably off from my original just but a sign. what happens when solving for these is that the powers starts to rise for any of my attempted solutions, as we have taken the negatives of d in so many cases (1-d). Take the first step simply considering one of the solutions for z...

(x-d)^-2 =(-(1-d)/2)^2 + (i sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4)/2)^2

or

a^-2=b^2+ic^2

But we want some constant value out of a, b, and c.

This is pretty much the problem. How do I get d out of a, b and c?

Thanks,

Jeff

Would it help or confuse the issue if I said that z becomes the elements of a Hermitian matrix where the two solutions for z are complex conjugates?

I forgot my square root above in

=(-(1-d)/2)^2 +/- (i sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4)/2)^2

Should be

=sqrt((-(1-d)/2)^2 +/- (i sqrt((1-d)^2+d/4)/2)^2)

Also forgot it here...

a^-2=b^2+ic^2

Should be

a^-2=Sqrt{b^2+ic^2}

Jeff Cook said:
Would it help or confuse the issue if I said that z becomes the elements of a Hermitian matrix where the two solutions for z are complex conjugates?

It won't help unless you explain some facts about the matrix. You could start by stating its dimensions.

It can be expressed in terms of two Hermitian Matrices, one 2X2 if you consider z and the d the limits of two parameterized constants z(t), d(t), and the other an infinite Hermitian matrix including all points in z(t) and d(t). I typically work with the limits, thus 2X2 for solutions involving the two. Because z is always produces a complex number for any real or complex argument to limits of its domain, the 2X2 limit matrix is useful. I've been working with this for over two years (not the current problem...just this particular relationship between d and z).

Iif there is no straight forward solution to the above alone as it is expressed, then I should explain I am working with two matrices, one proportionate to another. d is the divisor of the differentiation operator of another matrix, a matrix of a probability distribution. Hope those facts of the matrix help a bit. Happy to provide more info if need be. Thanks.

Stephen,

I think I found the fundamental problem with this equation and I have been able to simplify it.

Considering a, b and c

(a-b)^-4 - b^2 = sqrt{b} = c

There is only one possible argument for a that will ever provide a solution:

a = lim A

If A is a function, then (lim (A)-b)^-4 - b^2 = sqrt{b} = c, then c has only two arguments b that permit its solution c.

Let b = 0, b=1 and plug them one at a time into

(a-b)^-4 - b^2 = sqrt{b} = c

and take A to infinity, the left hand side converges to the right (rather quickly for many arguments). Thus, they are not equal...they are asymptotically equivalent, considering A a function (which in my original example it is). Because of the rapid convergence of c, just about any decimal precision used might at first make it appear equivalent. But they're not exactly. The rest of my original equation then is simply a variation of the following

(lim(a)-b)^-4 - b^2 = sqrt{b} = c

Does this make sense?

Jeff

Jeff Cook said:
Does this make sense?

I don't know if it makes sense because you haven't stated your question(s) precisely. Apparently, your answer is something you can check by using specific numbers.

Whatever, Stephen. Good luck. And have a good holiday.

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. It can be represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

What is the magnitude of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is the distance between the origin and the point representing the complex number on the complex plane. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem as √(a² + b²), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively.

How do you solve for a variable in the magnitude of a complex number?

To solve for a variable in the magnitude of a complex number, you can use the formula √(a² + b²) = c, where c is the magnitude and a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively. You can then solve for the variable by squaring both sides of the equation and rearranging the terms.

Why is it important to solve for a variable in the magnitude of a complex number?

Solving for a variable in the magnitude of a complex number allows us to find the value of the variable in terms of the magnitude and the other parts of the complex number. This can be useful in various applications, such as in electrical engineering and physics.

Can a complex number have a negative magnitude?

No, a complex number cannot have a negative magnitude. The magnitude of a complex number is always a positive value, as it represents the distance from the origin on the complex plane. If the magnitude is negative, it means that the complex number is not well-defined.