This product is known to the state of california to cause cancer

In summary, the product is known to the state of California to cause cancer, so people should wash their hands after use. There is a tag on the cord that says this, and it's up to the individual to decide if they want to use it or not.
I just bought a rather "cheap" lamp from Target and when I unpack it I find a sheet of paper with the warning "this product is known to the state of california to cause cancer". Well isn't that great. thanks a lot! There is a little tag on the electrical cord that says I should wash my hands after each use. What the heck is going on? Anyone know anything about this. Is it an overreaction or something I should throw out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I just bought a rather "cheap" lamp from Target and when I unpack it I find a sheet of paper with the warning "this product is known to the state of california to cause cancer". Well isn't that great. thanks a lot! There is a little tag on the electrical cord that says I should wash my hands after each use. What the heck is going on? Anyone know anything about this. Is it an overreaction or something I should throw out?
Buwahaha. California is a different world. Does it give any explanation?

I bought a fly reel (I think; I know it was fishing related) and it had the same message.

Its so the product can be sold in california due to some law they have called Proposition 65.

List of chemicals the law covers: http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single062212.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the insulation of the electrical cord right? That is where the lead is IIRC. Christmas lights used to have the same warning. Dont rub the insulation and lick your fingers... :P

Greg Bernhardt said:

As long as it doesn't cause cancer in your State, don't worry about it! :tongue:

Yes, it must be lead in the insulation.

No, don't throw it out. That's Prop 65 you're seeing. I deal with it at work from time to time.

I work in the wood products industry. We have to label wood in the same way, since wood dust is a carcinogen. So that nice wood floor under your toes is (technically) carcinogenic and requires a warning label!

But seriously, what the warning doesn't address is dose. That label is simply a binary, yes-no answer to, "Can this product cause cancer?" But the real info you need to make an informed decision is, what is the dose you're exposed to, and what is a dangerous dose? This is why Prop 65 is a dumb regulation, IMO. It doesn't give you the right information.

Btw, lead is on the Prop 65 list (see it here) but IARC's evaluation is as follows:

Inorganic lead compounds are probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A).
Organic lead compounds are not classifiable as to their carcinogenicity to humans
(Group 3).
summary:
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol87/mono87-10.pdf
full:
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol87/mono87.pdf

We get those in the U.K. Just don't use it in California.

lisab said:
No, don't throw it out. That's Prop 65 you're seeing. I deal with it at work from time to time.

I work in the wood products industry. We have to label wood in the same way, since wood dust is a carcinogen. So that nice wood floor under your toes is (technically) carcinogenic and requires a warning label!

But seriously, what the warning doesn't address is dose. That label is simply a binary, yes-no answer to, "Can this product cause cancer?" But the real info you need to make an informed decision is, what is the dose you're exposed to, and what is a dangerous dose? This is why Prop 65 is a dumb regulation, IMO. It doesn't give you the right information.
How many lamps would Greg have to eat in one sitting in order to reach unacceptable levels of lead in his body?

Results inconclusive: No cancer detected, however subject died of lead poisoning prior to conclusion of trial.

russ_watters said:
Results inconclusive: No cancer detected, however subject died of lead poisoning prior to conclusion of trial.
:biggrin:

I'll buy 12!

I also assume such a warning is in any ads for this product... if you don't want the cancer, can you get a refund?

lisab said:

Btw, lead is on the Prop 65 list (see it here) but IARC's evaluation is as follows:

summary:
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol87/mono87-10.pdf
full:
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol87/mono87.pdf

Well said.

Paracelsus said:
All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous.

Does the sky in California have a warning label? I merely ask because sunlight is known to cause cancer, rain is pretty hazardous - water is known to cause drowning - and don't get me started on oxygen!

Let's hope no California officials read that post NemoReally!

NemoReally said:
Does the sky in California have a warning label? I merely ask because sunlight is known to cause cancer, rain is pretty hazardous - water is known to cause drowning - and don't get me started on oxygen!

CompuChip said:
Let's hope no California officials read that post NemoReally!

I can offer to do some publicly-financed research for them. You know, like hang around on the beach for several hours at a time or check for differences in the mountains, particularly during the ski season.

Beryllium lamp with an asbestos shade?

If it came with a lamp/bulb it might just be a warning about that.

lisab said:
But seriously, what the warning doesn't address is dose.

Do not OD on lamp cord.

California really is a special place isn't it? The same warning labels are on Gas Station pumps here in AZ. Whenever I am buying degreaser or any chemicals that are automotive related I always get the ones that say "Not for sale in California" because those are the ones that work really well

What is the meaning of "This product is known to the state of california to cause cancer"?

This statement is a warning required by the state of California for products that contain chemicals known to cause cancer. It is a notification to consumers about potential health risks associated with the product.

Which products typically have this warning?

The warning is most commonly found on products such as household cleaners, pesticides, and cosmetics that contain chemicals known to cause cancer.

What chemicals are included in this warning?

The specific chemicals that are required to have this warning vary, but they typically include substances like benzene, formaldehyde, lead, and asbestos, among others.

Is this warning only applicable in the state of California?

Yes, this warning is specific to the state of California and is required by the state's Proposition 65, which aims to protect consumers from exposure to toxic chemicals.

How can I protect myself from potential health risks associated with this product?

It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions and warnings on the product label. If you have concerns about a product, you can also research the specific chemicals included in the warning and make an informed decision about whether or not to use the product.