Question about probabilities with playing cards

In summary, the conversation discusses a card game involving a full deck of regular playing cards and each player being dealt 5 cards in a clockwise direction. The speaker asks for the probability of each other player having at least one heart in their hand or only one heart in their hand. The probability of each player having only one heart is approximately one out of 2 203 563, while the probability of each player having at least one heart is more complex to calculate.
jldibble
Let's say that I'm playing a card game with 3 friends. The game involves a full deck of regular playing cards (52 cards, 4 suits, etc.) For this game, each player is dealt 5 cards. The cards are dealt out 5 cards at a time and in a clockwise direction starting with the person to the left of the dealer (I don't think the manner in which the cards are dealt will be relevant).

Now my question is this; how can I find the probability that each other player, besides myself, has been dealt at least ONE heart.
And then, how could I find the probability that each player, besides myself, has been dealt ONLY ONE heart.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not my field, so a more elegant solution may exist. By this procedure should give the correct result.

First, the only relevant cards are the 15 dealt to the other players. There are 52C15 = 4 481 381 406 320 possible combinations. The deck itself can be seen as 13 hearts + 39 other cards.

The probability that each other player has been dealt exactly one heart is the easiest to calculate. For the first player, this is
13C1 [itex]\times[/itex] 39C4 = 1 069 263
For the second player:
12C1 [itex]\times[/itex] 35C4 = 628 320
For the third player:
11C1 [itex]\times[/itex] 31C4 = 346 115
So the probability is 2 033 698/4 481 381 406 320 ≈ 4.5e-7, or approximately one chance out of 2 203 563.

To find the possibility that each player has at least one heart is more involved. You can sum up the probability that one player has 2 hearts and the two others 1 heart + the probability that two players have 2 hearts and the other 1 heart + the probability that one player has 3 hearts and the two others 1 heart, and so on.

jldibble said:
Let's say that I'm playing a card game with 3 friends. The game involves a full deck of regular playing cards (52 cards, 4 suits, etc.) For this game, each player is dealt 5 cards. The cards are dealt out 5 cards at a time and in a clockwise direction starting with the person to the left of the dealer (I don't think the manner in which the cards are dealt will be relevant).

Now my question is this; how can I find the probability that each other player, besides myself, has been dealt at least ONE heart.
And then, how could I find the probability that each player, besides myself, has been dealt ONLY ONE heart.

Thanks for the help.
Can you look at your hand and see the number of hearts in it? If so, that number will affect the probabilities.

Or are you asking this question without having looked at our hand?

1. How many cards are in a standard deck?

A standard deck of playing cards has 52 cards in total. There are four suits (clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades) and each suit has 13 cards (Ace, 2-10, Jack, Queen, and King).

2. What is the probability of drawing an ace from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing an ace from a deck of cards is 4/52 or approximately 7.7%. Since there are 4 aces in a deck of 52 cards, the probability is calculated by dividing 4 by 52.

3. What is the probability of drawing a red card from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a red card from a deck of cards is 26/52 or 50%. There are 26 red cards (13 hearts and 13 diamonds) out of 52 cards in a deck, so the probability is calculated by dividing 26 by 52.

4. If I draw two cards from a deck without replacement, what is the probability of getting two aces?

The probability of getting two aces when drawing two cards from a deck without replacement is 1/221 or approximately 0.45%. Since the first ace has a probability of 4/52, the second ace has a probability of 3/51 (one less card in the deck), and the two probabilities are multiplied together to get the final probability.

5. What is the probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card from a deck of cards is 12/52 or approximately 23.1%. Since each suit has three face cards, there are 12 face cards in a deck of 52 cards, making the probability calculated by dividing 12 by 52.