Antenna Receive signal on one side and Transmit on another side

In summary: He is trying to use a wave guided channel to propagate the energy to another point by propagating the fields using dielectric material as a channel. He is trying to use a wave guided channel to propagate the energy to another point by propagating the fields using dielectric material as a channel.
txd9087
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a RF energy harvesting system. I need a transceiver like characteristic. But instead of transmitting and receiving into the same plane. I need the energy to be received on one side and then transmit on another side. Basically follow the diagram below: in a microstrip or stripline configuration. The Rx antenna receives the energy on one side and then

Rx >>>>>| conductor |dielectric |conductor >>>>>>Tx.

Please let me know if you don't understand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF

Back to back antennas are sometimes used to get signals into difficult places ... say a valley shielded from a TV transmitter by the ridge. It can work, but the losses are significant.

I suspect tho that you are maybe dealing with short distances.

so explain clearly what you are trying to do and answer the below questions

signal source ?
distance from source to receive antenna?
receive and transmit antenna type and gain?
what is receiving the TX antenna output?
how far from the TX antenna is it?
What frequency are you wanting to use ?

cheers
Dave

Hi Davenn,

Yes I'm dealing with very short distances. Basically I want to use wave focusing mechanism to improve the efficiency of energy received at an antenna. But instead of converting RF energy into DC right after it is received by an antenna, I want to propagate that energy to another point by propagating the fields using dielectric material as a channel. But I will need to use another antenna to radiate the energy into that dielectric material (wave guided channel).

Signal source is simply any antenna- could be Dipole or plane wave in simulation.
Distance from source to the first antenna is about 30-50 mm
receive antenna would be a microstrip antenna (patch or fractal patch)
There are two targeted frequency that I'm currently using 5.5 GHz and 2.5 GHz.

txd9087 said:
Hi Davenn,

Yes I'm dealing with very short distances. Basically I want to use wave focusing mechanism to improve the efficiency of energy received at an antenna. But instead of converting RF energy into DC right after it is received by an antenna, I want to propagate that energy to another point by propagating the fields using dielectric material as a channel. But I will need to use another antenna to radiate the energy into that dielectric material (wave guided channel).

Signal source is simply any antenna- could be Dipole or plane wave in simulation.
Distance from source to the first antenna is about 30-50 mm
receive antenna would be a microstrip antenna (patch or fractal patch)
There are two targeted frequency that I'm currently using 5.5 GHz and 2.5 GHz.

Can you just use a parabolic reflector? That would be the most efficient way to do this, if I understand your question.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like txd9087 is trying to design the transition from antenna feedpoint to a transmission line. This is standard antenna matching, but at 5GHz would require a network analyzer.

1. How does an antenna receive and transmit signals on different sides?

An antenna works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. The receiving side of the antenna receives incoming electromagnetic waves and converts them into electrical energy, which can then be amplified and processed by electronic devices. On the other hand, the transmitting side of the antenna takes electrical energy from a device and converts it into electromagnetic waves, which are then transmitted into the surrounding space.

2. What types of antennas can receive and transmit on different sides?

There are various types of antennas that can be used for this purpose, such as dipole antennas, Yagi antennas, and parabolic antennas. The choice of antenna depends on the specific application and the frequency of the signals being transmitted and received.

3. Is it possible for an antenna to receive and transmit on the same side?

Yes, it is possible for some antennas to receive and transmit on the same side. This is known as full-duplex communication and is commonly used in wireless communication systems. However, in most cases, it is more efficient to use separate antennas for transmitting and receiving signals.

4. Can an antenna receive and transmit signals simultaneously?

No, an antenna cannot receive and transmit signals at the same time. This is because the receiving and transmitting processes require different configurations and frequencies, which cannot be achieved simultaneously. Therefore, an antenna can either receive or transmit signals at a given time.

5. How does the directionality of an antenna affect its ability to receive and transmit on different sides?

The directionality of an antenna refers to its ability to receive and transmit signals in a specific direction. Directional antennas, such as Yagi antennas, have a narrower beamwidth and are better suited for long-range communication. On the other hand, omnidirectional antennas have a wider beamwidth and are better for short-range communication. The choice of antenna directionality depends on the specific application and the desired range of communication.