Calculating Change in Internal Energy: Work and Heat in an Insulated System

In summary, an insulated system has done 930.J of work and absorbed 3.35Kcal of heat. The change in internal energy of the system is calculated to be 13092.604J, after converting 3.35Kcal to Joules and subtracting the work done. The doubt about the correctness of the calculation was resolved, with the understanding that Q=3.35Kcal and work is subtracted from the change in internal energy.
lilkrazyrae
930.J of work are done by an insulated system that absorbs 3.35Kcal of heat. What is the change in the internal energy of the system?

Ok so I don't quite understand this. I know that U=Q-W. but I do I just do 3.35Kcal minus W? This just doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see why it could be wrong. Why do you suspect so?

You don't know W?
Or is the doubt about signs.
Well is it that the book gives some different answer than what you got?

I wasn't sure if Q=3.35Kcal. Does it equal only that? And I don't even know what the answer is supposed to be, its just usually all our problems are more difficult that i didn't know if there was something else to it.

Last edited:
yes, Q = 3.35 kcal , positive because it is Energy absorbed by this "system".
The Work done by the system takes Energy out of the system, so it's subtracted. You can't subtract Joules from kcal ... convert one of them!

Ok so what I've got is 3.35kcal=3350cal=3350cal*1J/.289cal=14022.604J
Then U=14022.604J-90J=13092.604J and this is my change in internal energy.
Is this correct

Your conversions seem alright to me, I don't see how that could be incorrect...

1. What is "change in internal energy"?

"Change in internal energy" refers to the difference between the initial and final internal energy of a system. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from a system through heating, work, or other processes.

2. How is "change in internal energy" calculated?

The change in internal energy can be calculated using the equation ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done by the system.

3. What factors can cause a change in internal energy?

A change in internal energy can be caused by heat transfer, work, chemical reactions, changes in temperature, and changes in volume or pressure of the system.

4. What is the significance of "change in internal energy" in thermodynamics?

The change in internal energy is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps us understand the energy flow in a system and how it is affected by different processes. It is also used to determine the efficiency of a system and predict its behavior under different conditions.

5. How is the "change in internal energy" related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The change in internal energy is a direct result of this law as it accounts for the energy transferred to or from a system through various processes.