Optics - Beam illuminating coin under water

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a coin on the bottom of a pool and the angle at which a light beam must be directed from the wall to illuminate the coin. The correct angle for the light beam is 43.18 degrees when measured from the vertical.
frozen7
A coin lies on the bottom of a pool under 1.5 m
of water and 0.90 m from the side wall as shown
in Figure 2. If a light beam is incident on the
water surface at the wall,at what angle relative
to the wall must the beam be directed so it will
illuminate the coin. Ans: 28.90

The answer I get is 43.29, different with the given answer? May I know which answer is correct actually?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a diagram ... but if :
the ray's angle in the water (measured from the vertical) is about 31 degrees,
then the ray's angle in air (measured from the vertical) is about 43.18 degrees.
Are they REFLECTING the ray off the wall? (I expected this to be a refraction)

I would first like to clarify that the answer to this question may vary depending on certain assumptions and factors, such as the refractive index of water and the type of light source being used. However, based on the given information, I will provide an explanation for the answer of 28.90 degrees.

To determine the angle at which the light beam must be directed in order to illuminate the coin, we need to consider the principles of optics and refraction. When light travels from one medium to another, such as from air to water, it changes direction due to the difference in the speed of light in each medium. This phenomenon is known as refraction.

In this scenario, the light beam is incident on the water surface at an angle of 90 degrees (perpendicular to the surface) at the wall. As it enters the water, it will bend towards the normal (an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface) and continue to travel at a different angle. The exact angle of refraction can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two media.

In this case, the angle of incidence is 90 degrees and the angle of refraction is the angle at which the light beam will hit the coin. Using the given distances, we can calculate the distance between the wall and the coin as 1.5 m + 0.90 m = 2.4 m. This distance, along with the depth of the water (1.5 m), can be used to calculate the angle of refraction using basic trigonometry.

Using the formula sin θ = opposite/hypotenuse, we get sin θ = 1.5/2.4 = 0.625. Taking the inverse sine of 0.625, we get an angle of 37.38 degrees. However, this is the angle of refraction at the water-air interface. To determine the angle of refraction at the water-coin interface, we need to subtract this angle from 90 degrees, giving us 90 - 37.38 = 52.62 degrees.

Since the angle of incidence at the wall is 90 degrees, the angle of reflection will also be 90 degrees. Using the law of reflection, we can determine that the angle between the incident light

1. What is the principle behind illuminating a coin under water?

The principle behind illuminating a coin under water is called refraction. When light travels from one medium to another, such as from air to water, it changes speed and direction. This causes the light to bend, making objects appear distorted or shifted in position. By understanding the principles of refraction, we can use optics to illuminate objects under water.

2. How can I make a beam of light that will illuminate a coin under water?

To create a beam of light that will illuminate a coin under water, you will need a light source, such as a flashlight or laser pointer, and a container of water. Shine the light through the side of the container, at an angle towards the bottom. The light will pass through the water and bend towards the surface, creating a beam that will illuminate the coin when it reaches it.

3. Why does the coin appear to be in a different position when illuminated under water?

The coin appears to be in a different position when illuminated under water because of the refraction of light. As the light travels from the air to the water, it bends, making the coin appear to be in a different position than it actually is. This is due to the change in speed and direction of the light as it passes through the different mediums.

4. Can I use any type of light to illuminate a coin under water?

Yes, you can use any type of light to illuminate a coin under water, as long as it is bright enough to create a visible beam. However, some light sources, such as lasers, may produce a more focused and intense beam, making it easier to illuminate and observe the coin under water.

5. Why does the beam of light appear to be wider or narrower when it reaches the coin?

The beam of light appears to be wider or narrower when it reaches the coin due to the angle at which it enters the water. When the light enters the water at a shallow angle, it will bend less, resulting in a narrower beam. Conversely, when the light enters at a steeper angle, it will bend more, resulting in a wider beam. This can also be affected by the shape and curvature of the container holding the water.