Self-learned physicist or pipe dream?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of becoming a self-taught physicist and achieving a Ph.D level of understanding in quantum physics and relativity. The individual expresses their desire to learn and asks for advice on how to begin studying without a formal education. Some suggest that it may be a waste of time, while others encourage pursuing one's dreams and passions. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of having a realistic goal and being dedicated to self-study in order to achieve a deep understanding of physics.
kant said:
why? it is waste of time, and useless if you can t show for your labor. If you want some analytical fun, then why not try number theory? It is easy to learn, and plenty of problems to occupy one s mind.

Gaining knowledge is never a waste of time! Educating yourself is not always so you can show something for it, sometimes it's just to learn; pure and simple. Actually gaining knowledge of anything will always give you something to show for it: more knowledge. In my opinion a person can never learn too much. I think that most people who have an interest in Physics have a deep craving for knowledge that many people don't possess. Not to say only physicists crave knowledge. I also have to say that 99% of the Physicists, physics students, or people with just an interest in physics I have had contact with have a need to know how everything in this universe works that they can't ignore.

Mr. Tamborine man; one thing I can tell you is that you would probably benefit from interaction with teachers and other students. You could probably even go unmatriculated, and just take a few classes. Maybe after taking some classes you would feel that going back to school for a PHD would be worth it even if it did take twenty years. And if money is an issue there are plenty of grants and financial aid available.

I am a 29 year old mother and wife with my own business, but I'm going back to school this summer for Physics, specifically theoretical physics. The reason is that I feel this is what I should have done when I was 17 and fresh out of high school, because it's my dream, but also because I feel that I've gone about as far as I can go on my own. I have spent my whole life reading up on any math and physics information I could get my hands on, but at a certain point I think you still need the guidance of people who have more knowledge than you. I can remember countless times throughout my life that I've had questions and no one to answer them. I would definitely say to follow your dreams though, if this is what you want to do; do it! Life is far to short to live with regrets, and not go for what you want.

Good luck :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in about this same boat. I am working right now and I don't know how in the heck I could afford to go back to school, so I am teaching myself the math. So far so good, I learned in 3 days what it took a friend in college a semester to do. As I understand it, Mathematics is the language of science, I'm going to focus solely on the Mathematics up to Tensor Calculus(Of course this will give insight into applications on the way) or so and then when I know the language, I'll dabble in the rest.

I have no lofty ambitions. It's just a hobby, but if you want to be self-taught, go for it. I can't imagine there being an insurmountable obstacle if your passion is firm, especially with so many tools on the internet.