Angular speed of rotation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the design of a cylindrical space station and the calculations needed to determine its angular speed and rotational kinetic energy. The conversation also includes a discussion on the number of thrusting rockets needed to set the space station in motion.
kellyneedshelp
Could anyone please help me figure out how to approach this problem?

Space stations have been proposed to accommodate the surplus population of the Earth. The initial design is for a hollow, uniform, cylindrical space station of diameter 3.15 km, length 10.35 km, and total mass of 1.19 x 10^10 metric tons. The space station is to be spun about the symmetry axis coincident with the axis of the cylindrical shape.

(a) What angular speed of rotation is needed to simulate the magnitude of the local acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2) for objects on the perimeter of the space station?

(b) What is the rotational kinetic energy of the space station?

I believe that for part (b) i can use the equation KErot = (1/2)*I*(omega)^2 while finding I using I=(1/2)*m*R^2 so with the numbers given I calculate I to be (1/2)*(1.19*10^13 kg)*(1575m)^2 = 1.476*10^19

I still am unsure as to how to calculate part (a), which I need for part (b) as well. The only equation I could find that relates acceleration to angular speed is a=r*(omega)^2 which would give me 9.81 = (1575)*(omega)^2 which gives omega=0.0789 but i don't think this is correct. Could anyone give me a hint as to what equation(s) i need for finding omega (angular acceleration).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kellyneedshelp said:
Could anyone please help me figure out how to approach this problem?

Space stations have been proposed to accommodate the surplus population of the Earth. The initial design is for a hollow, uniform, cylindrical space station of diameter 3.15 km, length 10.35 km, and total mass of 1.19 x 10^10 metric tons. The space station is to be spun about the symmetry axis coincident with the axis of the cylindrical shape.

(a) What angular speed of rotation is needed to simulate the magnitude of the local acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2) for objects on the perimeter of the space station?

(b) What is the rotational kinetic energy of the space station?

I believe that for part (b) i can use the equation KErot = (1/2)*I*(omega)^2 while finding I using I=(1/2)*m*R^2 so with the numbers given I calculate I to be (1/2)*(1.19*10^13 kg)*(1575m)^2 = 1.476*10^19

I still am unsure as to how to calculate part (a), which I need for part (b) as well. The only equation I could find that relates acceleration to angular speed is a=r*(omega)^2 which would give me 9.81 = (1575)*(omega)^2 which gives omega=0.0789 but i don't think this is correct. Could anyone give me a hint as to what equation(s) i need for finding omega (angular acceleration).

Thanks!

Your omega looks right to me!

Patrick

oh actually it was right i was just typing it in wrong, thanks for the help!

the last part of the same problem is also giving me some trouble

(c) Small, thrusting rockets mounted tangential to the circular cross section are to set the space station in rotational motion. Starting from rest, the spacecraft reaches the angular speed calculated in part (a) after 1.10 y. Each rocket is capable of exerting a force of magnitude 1000 N continuously over the year. How many thrusting rockets are needed?

I tried finding this answer by first using the equation:
angular acceleration = (omega final - omega initial)/t or
angular acceleration = (.0795 - 0)/(1.1years*365days*24hrs*60min*60sec = 34689600sec) = 2.27*10^-9 m/s^2
then i used the equation:
torque = I*angular accel. or
torque = (2.9519*10^19)*(2.27*10^-9) = 6.715*10^10
and then divided this by 1000N and got 6.715*10^7 rockets
but this is not the correct answer so i must be attempting this problem the wrong way

i have already confirmed that omega = 0.0789 and that I = 2.9159*10^19 so this means that i am probably just using the wrong equations as opposed the wrong numbers.

if anyone could help me out, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks again!

kellyneedshelp said:

(c) Small, thrusting rockets mounted tangential to the circular cross section are to set the space station in rotational motion. Starting from rest, the spacecraft reaches the angular speed calculated in part (a) after 1.10 y. Each rocket is capable of exerting a force of magnitude 1000 N continuously over the year. How many thrusting rockets are needed?

angular acceleration = (.0795 - 0)/(1.1years*365days*24hrs*60min*60sec = 34689600sec) = 2.27*10^-9 m/s^2
but this is not the correct answer so i must be attempting this problem the wrong way

i have already confirmed that omega = 0.0789 and that I = 2.9159*10^19 so this means that i am probably just using the wrong equations as opposed the wrong numbers.

thanks again!
I thought you'd already found the moment of inertia was 1.475 x 10^19 kg-m^2.

kellyneedshelp said:
...so with the numbers given I calculate I to be (1/2)*(1.19*10^13 kg)*(1575m)^2 = 1.476*10^19

yes but i realized this was incorrect because that formula is assuming the cylinder is solid, but in this problem we are to assume it is a cylindrical shell or hoop so you do not divide by 2 so I = 2.95*10^19.

sorry, i should have mentioned that in my post!

kellyneedshelp said:

just a comment: the angular acceleration is in radian per second^2, not m/s^2

thanks again!
your mistake is to take the torque and divide it by the tangential force. A torque is not a force. You have (for a force applied tangentially) torque = force times the radius. So you must first divide the torque by the radius to find the total tangential force and *then* divide by the 1000 N.

Patrick

aha!

you're completely right, so it needs 42629 rockets (42628.38 rounded up to a whole number). i figured that was the place where i was making the incorrect assumptions. that makes more sense now :smile:

thank you!

What is angular speed of rotation?

Angular speed of rotation is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular speed of rotation related to linear speed?

Angular speed of rotation and linear speed are related by the radius of the rotating object. The linear speed is equal to the angular speed multiplied by the radius.

What is the formula for calculating angular speed of rotation?

The formula for calculating angular speed of rotation is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed in radians per second, Δθ is the change in angle in radians, and Δt is the change in time in seconds.

What are some real-life examples of angular speed of rotation?

Some examples of angular speed of rotation in daily life include the rotation of a ceiling fan, the spinning of a bicycle wheel, and the rotation of the Earth on its axis.

How does angular speed of rotation affect centripetal force?

The greater the angular speed of rotation, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep an object moving in a circular path. This is because a higher angular speed means a higher velocity, and according to Newton's Second Law, a higher velocity requires a higher force to maintain its circular motion.