I'd be very interested to know (more)

• Thread starter Sikz
  • Start date
In summary, adult humans have an estimated 100 billion neurons, with the majority of the brain dedicated to sensory input and the remaining neurons used for memory and thought. It is believed that higher intelligence may be linked to more efficient configurations of neurons. The brain operates on a cellular level, but there may be other factors at work on a more fundamental level that are not yet understood.
Sikz
A few figures... What is the average number of neurons in an adult human? What is the average number of ATOMS in an adult human? How many words are there in the English language? How many people do we meet, on average, every day? How many objects do we enter into memory, on average, every day?

It just seems interesting to me (and probably all of us) that we hold such vast ammounts of information in such a small space, and operate at such incredible speed (assuming information is stored in the brain, of course). A computer can take hours searching for a given phrase or file... We do it in less than a second. We string together logical ideas and sentences nearly instantaniously. We can do an incredible number of complex things at the same time. How (not that anyone knows right now, heh)? It's incredible... Computers the size of buildings aren't as fast and efficient as the human brain, and we operate biologicly!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard that it's estimated we have close to 100 billion neurons. It's been said that we really use only 5 to 10 percent of the brain's capacity but I think that is just a myth. Most of the brain is devoted to handling sensory input. The rest is used for memory and thought. It may be that 5 or 10 percent is left over for memory and thought which leaves 5 to 10 billion neurons for this purpose.

I think that the relationships between the neurons is important in explaining how we are able to do what we do. How do the neurons operate together. The patterns of activity. Do people with higher intelligences have more efficient configurations with respect to the neurons?

Perhaps there are quantum effects at work in the brain that are not taken into account when using computers to model neural nets. The biological brain operates on the cellular level but perhaps there are things happening on a more fundamental level of which we are unaware.

Last edited:

It is indeed fascinating to think about the incredible capabilities of the human brain. To answer your questions, the average number of neurons in an adult human is estimated to be around 86 billion. As for the average number of atoms in an adult human, it is difficult to determine as it varies based on a person's size and weight, but it is estimated to be around 7 octillion (that's 27 zeros!).

The number of words in the English language is constantly changing, but as of 2021, there are approximately 170,000 words in current use.

In terms of how many people we meet on average every day, it really depends on our lifestyle and daily routines. Some people may interact with dozens of people, while others may only interact with a handful.

As for how many objects we enter into memory on a daily basis, it is estimated that the average person can store up to 1 million pieces of information in their short-term memory at any given time. However, not all of this information is retained in long-term memory.

It is truly remarkable how our brains can process and retain such vast amounts of information at lightning speed. The brain's ability to make connections and process complex tasks is still not fully understood, but it continues to amaze and inspire us.

What does "I'd be very interested to know (more)" mean?

When someone says "I'd be very interested to know (more)", they are expressing their curiosity and desire to learn more about a specific topic or subject.

Why do people say "I'd be very interested to know (more)"?

People say "I'd be very interested to know (more)" because they want to deepen their understanding and knowledge about a particular subject or topic. It shows their eagerness to learn and their interest in the conversation or discussion.

What are some examples of using "I'd be very interested to know (more)"?

Some examples of using "I'd be very interested to know (more)" include asking for more details about a research study, requesting more information about a product or service, or expressing interest in learning more about someone's personal experiences or opinions on a topic.

How should I respond to someone who says "I'd be very interested to know (more)"?

You can respond by providing more information about the topic or subject they are interested in, or by asking for clarification on what specifically they would like to know more about. You can also express your own interest and ask follow-up questions to continue the conversation.

Is using "I'd be very interested to know (more)" polite?

Yes, using "I'd be very interested to know (more)" is considered polite and respectful. It shows that you value the other person's knowledge and perspective and are genuinely interested in learning from them.